The image is from Wikipedia Commons
1978 Tabas earthquake
|UTC time||1978-09-16 15:35:55|
|Local date||September 16, 1978 (1978-09-16)|
|Local time||19:05:55 IRST|
|Magnitude||7.4 Mw |
|Depth||10 km (6.2 mi) |
|Total damage||$11 million |
|Max. intensity||IX+ (Violent) |
|Peak acceleration||.8g |
|Aftershocks||5.0 Mw Sept 17 at 08:17 |
The 1978 Tabas earthquake occurred on September 16 at 19:05:55 local time in central Iran. The shock measured 7.4 on the moment magnitude scale and had a maximum Mercalli intensity of IX+ (Violent). The death toll was in the range of 15,000–25,000 with severe effects in the town of Tabas.
Eighty percent of the loss of life occurred in Tabas, but a total of 85 villages were affected. This shock was felt in Tehran, about 610 kilometers (380 mi) away. About 55–85 km (34–53 mi) of ground deformation was observed, with about 1.7 meters (5 ft 7 in) of maximum slip. Only one significant M5 aftershock occurred.
- ISC (19 January 2015), ISC-GEM Global Instrumental Earthquake Catalogue (1900–2009), Version 2.0, International Seismological Centre
- USGS (September 4, 2009), PAGER-CAT Earthquake Catalog, Version 2008_06.1, United States Geological Survey
- Berberian, M. (2014), Earthquakes and Coseismic Surface Faulting on the Iranian Plateau, Developments in Earth Surface Processes (1st ed.), Elsevier, p. 609, ISBN 978-0-444-63297-5
- Ambraseys, N. N.; Melville, C. P.; Adams, R. D. (2005), The Seismicity of Egypt, Arabia and the Red Sea: A Historical Review, Cambridge University Press, pp. 103, 104, 110, ISBN 978-0-521-02025-1
- USGS. "M5.0 - eastern Iran". United States Geological Survey.
- M7.4 - eastern Iran – United States Geological Survey
- The International Seismological Centre has a bibliography and/or authoritative data for this event.
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article 1978 Tabas earthquake; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.