The image is from Wikipedia Commons
2015 in Greece
|See also:||Other events of 2015
List of years in Greece
The following lists events that happened during 2015 in Greece.
- President: Karolos Papoulias (until 13 March), Prokopis Pavlopoulos (starting 13 March)
- Prime Minister: Antonis Samaras (until 26 January), Alexis Tsipras (1st term: from 26 January to 27 August; 2nd term: from 21 September onwards), Vassiliki Thanou (from 27 August until 21 September)
- January 3 – Former Prime Minister George Papandreou announces the formation of a new party, Movement of Democratic Socialists, threatening to push the long-dominant PASOK under the election threshold.
- January 5 – A Libyan warplane bombs a Greek-operated oil tanker anchored offshore the city of Derna, killing two sailors, one Greek and one Romanian. The Greek government condemned what it called an "unprovoked and cowardly" attack and demanded an investigation and punishment for those responsible.
- January 17 – Greek anti-terror police arrest four people in Athens in alleged relation to the January 15 failed terrorist plot to kill police officers in Belgium.
- January 25 – A legislative election takes place to elect all 300 members to the Hellenic Parliament in accordance with the constitution. The formerly ruling Greek conservatives concede the election. Preliminary results indicate that SYRIZA will fall just short of an absolute majority. Eventually SYRIZA takes 36.34% of the votes.
- January 27 – The First Cabinet of Alexis Tsipras is sworn in (two-party coalition of SYRIZA and ANEL).
- February 11 – The Greek Coast Guard rescues all 22 crewmen from a Cyprus -flagged vessel Good Faith that ran aground on the Greek island of Andros during a storm in the Aegean Sea.
- February 18 – The Hellenic Parliament elects Prokopis Pavlopoulos as the new President of Greece.
- June 11 – NERIT shuts down and is replaced by its predecessor, ERT
- August 20 – The prime minister Alexis Tsipras resigns.
- August 27 – Vassiliki Thanou is sworn as caretaker prime minister to lead the country until the end of the snap elections scheduled for 20 September.
- September 20 – Legislative elections take place and Syriza led by Alexis Tsipras takes the most votes.
- September 21 – Alexis Tsipras is sworn in as Prime Minister of Greece for second time.
- September 23 – The Second Cabinet of Alexis Tsipras is sworn in (re-formation of the coalition of Syriza and ANEL).
- November 17 – The 6.5 Mw Lefkada earthquake shook the area with a maximum Mercalli intensity of VII (Very strong), killing two and injuring four.
- "Former Greek PM unveils new party". 4 January 2015. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- "Libyan warplane bombs Greek-operated oil tanker at port, two dead". 5 January 2015. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- "Belgium deploys troops, arrests in Greece". 18 January 2015. Retrieved 19 January 2015.
- "Cargo ship with 22 crewmen hits rocks on Greek island". Associated Press. 11 February 2015.
- "First Greek Presidential Ballot Results Elect Prokopis Pavlopoulos".
- "Tsipras resigns, paving way for snap Greek election". reuters.com. Retrieved 10 December 2015.
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article 2015 in Greece; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.