The image is from Wikipedia Commons
2015 in archaeology
|Table of years in archaeology|
|Related time period or subjects|
|Art Archaeology Architecture Literature Music Science more
In Template:Year nav topic: extra parameters: science
This page lists major archaeological events of 2015.
- July–September – Survey and identification of British submarine HMS D5 (sunk 1914 following the Raid on Yarmouth) in the North Sea.
- September – Start of major excavations at Must Farm Bronze Age settlement in The Fens of eastern England by archaeologists from Cambridge.
- April 9–10 – A winter diving expedition on the Franklin expedition ship HMS Erebus, consisting of Parks Canada underwater archaeologists and Royal Canadian Navy divers, commences.
- May–October – Griffin Warrior Tomb near Pylos.
- September – Excavation of abandoned Bradford Park Avenue football stadium in England.
- Excavation of Hill 20, a site in the Battle of Ypres, begins.
- Excavations at Craig Rhos-y-felin in the Preseli Hills of south-west Wales end (begun 2011).
- January 4 – The discovery of the tomb of Khentakawess III in Abusir is announced.
- January 27 – Discovery of an extinct Homo bone under Penghu Strait in Taiwan named Penghu 1 is published.
- July – Discovery of two possible tunnels in Tutankhamun's tomb by Nicholas Reeves.
- December 19 – Discovery of the wreck of a merchant ship in the Indian Ocean, thought to be the West Ridge (lost 1883).
- Pylos Combat Agate from Griffin Warrior Tomb excavated, but not published until 2017.
- Wreck of British Royal Navy submarine HMS Saracen (P247) (sunk 1943) located off Corsica.
- January 28 – Nature reports the dating of a modern human skull from Manot cave is the first evidence in support of the Out of Africa theory and shows modern humans living alongside Neanderthals in the Levant.
- March 5–8 – The ancient city sites of Nimrud, Hatra and Dur-Sharrukin in Iraq are demolished by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIS).
- May – The Temple of Baalshamin is destroyed by ISIS.
- January 25 – Giancarlo Ligabue, Italian palaeontologist, discoverer of Ligabueino (b. 1931)
- February 25 – Sheppard Frere, British archaeologist of the Roman Empire (b. 1916)
- April 9 – Margaret Rule, British maritime archaeologist (b. 1928)
- August 18 – Khaled al-Asaad, Syrian archaeologist (b. 1934)
- "About - Must Farm". www.mustfarm.com. Retrieved 16 May 2017.
- Davison, Janet (2015-04-06). "Franklin Expedition search: Ice dive team ready to discover more secrets of HMS Erebus". CBC News. Retrieved 2015-04-13.
- "Archaeological dig starts at old Bradford football stadium". BBC News. 2015-09-06. Retrieved 2017-11-28.
- "Tomb of previously unknown pharaonic queen found in Egypt". The Express Tribune. 4 January 2015. Retrieved 4 January 2015.
- Chang, Chun-Hsiang; Kaifu, Yousuke; Takai, Masanaru; Kono, Reiko T.; Grün, Rainer; Matsu’ura, Shuji; Kinsley, Les; Lin, Liang-Kong (2015). "The first archaic Homo from Taiwan". Nature Communications. 6: 6037. doi:10.1038/ncomms7037. PMC 4316746. PMID 25625212. Retrieved 2016-01-12.
- "Inspection of King Tut's Tomb Reveals Hints of Hidden Chambers". National Geographic News. 28 September 2015. Retrieved 21 July 2017.
- Millward, David (2018-05-03). "Search for missing MH370 solves 19th-century British shipping mystery". The Daily Telegraph. London. Retrieved 2018-05-17.
- "Unearthing a masterpiece". University of Cincinnati. Retrieved 1 March 2018.
- Gallagher, Paul (2015-06-27). "HMS Saracen: Meeting the last survivor of a submarine found 72 years after it was scuttled". The Independent. London. Retrieved 2019-02-24.
- Hershkovitz, Israel; Marder, Ofer; Ayalon, Avner; Bar-Matthews, Miryam; Yasur, Gal; Boaretto, Elisabetta; Caracuta, Valentina; Alex, Bridget; et al. (2015). "Levantine cranium from Manot Cave (Israel) foreshadows the first European modern humans". Nature. 520: 216–9. doi:10.1038/nature14134. PMID 25629628.
- "55,000-Year-Old Skull Fossil Sheds New Light on Human Migration out of Africa". Science News. Retrieved 2 February 2015.
- "ISIL fighters bulldoze ancient Assyrian palace in Iraq". Al Jazeera. 5 March 2015. Retrieved 6 March 2015.
- "Reports: ISIS bulldozed ancient Hatra city in Mosul - RiyadhVision". RiyadhVision. 7 March 2015. Retrieved 8 March 2015.
- "Ancient site Khorsabad attacked by Islamic State: reports". Toronto Star. 8 March 2015. Retrieved 8 March 2015.
- "Here Are the Ancient Sites ISIS Has Damaged and Destroyed". National Geographic. Retrieved 14 June 2017.
- "In memory of Giancarlo Ligabue". www.ligabuemagazine.it. Retrieved 16 May 2017.
- Manning, William (10 March 2015). "Sheppard Frere obituary". The Guardian. Retrieved 16 May 2017.
- "Margaret Rule Obituary". theguardian.com. Retrieved 17 May 2017.
- "Khaled al-Asaad, curator - obituary". telegraph.co.uk. Retrieved 16 May 2017.
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article 2015 in archaeology; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.