2015 in politics
|Years in politics:||2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018|
|Centuries:||20th century · 21st century · 22nd century|
|Decades:||1980s 1990s 2000s 2010s 2020s 2030s 2040s|
|Years:||2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018|
These are some of the notable events relating to politics in 2015.
- January 1 – The Eurasian Economic Union comes into effect, creating a political and economic union between Russia, Belarus, Armenia, Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan.
- January 22 – After Houthi forces seize the presidential palace, Yemeni President Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi resigns after months of unrest.
- February 12
- Leaders from Russia, Ukraine, Germany and France reach an agreement on the conflict in eastern Ukraine that includes a ceasefire and withdrawal of heavy weapons. However, several days later, the Ukrainian government and pro-Russian rebels claim that, within its first day, the ceasefire was broken 139 times, as both sides failed to withdraw their heavy weapons and fighting had continued.
- The United Nations Security Council adopts Resolution 2199 to combat terrorism.
- March 12 – The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant becomes allies with fellow jihadist group Boko Haram, effectively annexing the group.
- March 25 – A Saudi Arabia-led coalition of Arab countries starts a military intervention in Yemen in order to uphold the Yemeni government in its fight against the Houthis' southern offensive.
- May 20 – The two constituent republics of Novorossiya, the Donetsk People's Republic and the Luhansk People's Republic, announce the suspension of the Novorossiya project, returning to separate (though internationally unrecognised) states.
- May 23 – Ireland votes to legalize same-sex marriage, becoming the first country to legalize same-sex marriage by popular vote.
- June 6 – The governments of India and Bangladesh officially ratify their 1974 agreement to exchange enclaves along their border.
- June 25–26 – ISIL claim responsibility for three attacks around the world during Ramadan:
- Kobanî massacre: ISIL fighters detonate three car bombs, enter Kobanî, Syria, and open fire at civilians, killing more than 220.
- Sousse attacks: 22-year-old Seifeddine Rezgui opens fire at a tourist resort at Port El Kantaoui, Tunisia, killing 38 people.
- Kuwait mosque bombing: A suicide bomber attacks the Shia Mosque Imam Ja'far as-Sadiq at Kuwait City, Kuwait, killing 27 people and injuring 227 others.
- July 20 – Cuba and the United States reestablish full diplomatic relations, ending a 54-year stretch of hostility between the nations.
- July 24 – Turkey begins a series of airstrikes against PKK and ISIL targets after the 2015 Suruç bombing.
- September 30 – Russia begins air strikes against ISIL and anti-government forces in Syria–in support of the Syrian government.
- November 7 – Chinese and Taiwanese presidents, Xi Jinping and Ma Ying-jeou, formally meet for the first time.
- November 13 – Multiple terrorist attacks claimed by Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) in Paris, France, result in 130 fatalities.
- Договор о Евразийском экономическом союзе
- "Yemen president quits amid worsening crisis". Al Jazeera. 2015-01-22. Retrieved 2015-01-24.
- "Ukraine crisis: Leaders agree peace roadmap". BBC. 12 February 2015. Retrieved 12 February 2015.
- "Ukraine crisis: Kiev and pro-Russian rebels claim ceasefire was broken '139 times' on first day as both sides fail to withdraw heavy weapons". London: The Independent. 2015-02-17. Retrieved 2015-02-17.
- "Unanimously Adopting Resolution 2199 (2015), Security Council Condemns Trade with Al-Qaida Associated Groups, Threatens Further Targeted Sanctions". United Nations. 12 February 2015. Retrieved 28 February 2015.
- "Isis welcomes Boko Haram's allegiance and plays down coalition 'victories'". The Guardian. 12 March 2015.
- "Saudi and Arab allies bomb Houthi positions in Yemen". Aljazeera. 26 March 2015.
- Almasy, Steve; Hanna, Jason (26 March 2015). "Saudi Arabia launches airstrikes in Yemen". CNN.
- Царьов офіційно визнав крах "проекту Новоросія" [Tsaryov officially acknowledges the collapse of the "Novorossiya project"]. Channel 5 (in Ukrainian). 20 May 2015. Retrieved 10 June 2015.
- Hakim, Danny; Dalby, Douglas (2015-05-23). "Ireland Votes to Approve Gay Marriage, Putting Country in Vanguard". The New York Times. Retrieved 2015-05-23.
- "India, Bangladesh ratify historic land deal, Narendra Modi announces new $2 billion line of credit to Dhaka - Times of India". Retrieved 2016-06-29.
- "79 IS killed in Ein al-Arab"Kobane", and an Egyptian captive reveals the mission details". Syrian observatory for Human Rights. June 28, 2015. Retrieved June 29, 2016.
- "Tunisia beach attack: British death toll 'will top 30'". BBC News. Retrieved 2016-06-29.
- Diebel, Mathew (June 26, 2015). "At least 27 dead in ISIL-claimed Kuwait attack". USA Today. Retrieved June 29, 2016.
- "Cuban flag flies in Washington as relations restored". BBC News. 2015-07-20. Retrieved 2015-07-21.
- Toksabay, Ece (2017-07-25). "Turkey strikes Islamic State, Kurdish militants in drive for "safe zone"". Reuters. Retrieved 2017-02-26.
- Times, Los Angeles. "Russia launches airstrikes in Syria amid U.S. concern about targets". latimes.com. Retrieved 2016-06-29.
- Lee, Shu-hua; Chang, S.C. "President Ma to meet China's Xi in Singapore Saturday (update)". Central News Agency. Retrieved 4 November 2015.
- Paris attacks: 'Three teams' involved - prosecutor Molins
- DeYoung, Karen (2015-12-15). "Saudi Arabia launches 'Islamic military alliance' to combat terrorism". The Washington Post. Retrieved 2017-02-26.