2015 in rail transport
This article lists events related to rail transport that occurred in 2015.
- January 2 – Reopening of Sri Lanka's Northern Line all the way to its terminus at Kankesanthurai.
- January 6 – Groundbreaking of the California High-Speed Rail system, indicating sustained construction activity
- China to Spain cargo train: Successful first 16,156-mile round trip on world's longest railway
- February 3 – The Valhalla train crash, in which a train on Metro-North Railroad's Harlem Line strikes a vehicle at a level crossing in Valhalla, New York, killing six people and injuring 15.
- February 8 – Opening of the South West Rail Link in Sydney
- February 14 – Rebuilt Benguela railway reopened throughout.
- February 24 – A Metrolink train on the Ventura County Line strikes a pickup truck at a level crossing in Oxnard, California, injuring 30.
- March 7 - The Cathedrals Express return charter train from Bristol Temple Meads to Southend East, operated by West Coast Railways, overran a signal passed at danger at Wootton Bassett Junction on the Great Western Main Line where it had a near miss with a First Great Western service from Swansea to London Paddington.
- March 14 – The Hokuriku Shinkansen high-speed route opens from Nagano to Kanazawa.
- March 14 – The Ueno-Tokyo Line route opens between Ueno and Tokyo Station.
- March 21 – 2015 Uttar Pradesh train accident: The Indian Railways Janata Express heading towards Varanasi overshoots a signal and derails near Bachhrawan in Uttar Pradesh, northern India, resulting in at least fifty-eight deaths and 150 injuries.
- April 3 - Network Rail suspended West Coast Railways' train operating license following a SPAD incident at Wootton Bassett Junction.
- April 5 - Reopening of Tri-Rail's Miami Airport Station in Miami
- June 2 - Opening of BRT Sunway Line operated by RapidKL in Subang Jaya.
- June 6 – Opening of the Union Pearson Express, an airport rail link in Toronto
- September 11 - Opening of KTM Komuter Northern Sector in Penang, Kedah, Perlis and Northern Perak.
- September 12 – Opening of the MAX Orange Line in Portland, Oregon, United States.
- September 13 - New York City Subway 34th Street -Hudson Yards opened to public, after a series of delay.
- September 17 - Opening of the Ashkelon-Be'er Sheva railway.
- September 20 – Opening of one line of the Addis Ababa Light Rail in capital-city of Ethiopia: the first light-rail system to be built in sub-saharan Africa.
- September 26 – Ningbo Rail Transit Line 2 opens connecting Lishe International Airport Station to Qingshuipu Station.
- October 16 – Completion of the first phase of Rail Baltica connecting Tallinn, Riga, Kaunas and Warsaw.
- November 17 – The Jaffar Express passenger train traveling from Quetta to Rawalpindi, Pakistan, derails killing 20 and injuring almost a hundred others.
- December 11 – The first phase of the Nanning–Kunming High-Speed Railway, connecting Nanning to Baise, China, opens.
- December 13 – Apperley Bridge railway station reopens, fifty years after the original station was closed. 
Unknown date events
- - Conclusion of joint project between Turkey, Iran and Pakistan to build 5,000 km freight link. Break-of-gauge arrangements to be confirmed.
- - JR East phases out 183 series.
- - JR Kyushu phases out 485 series.
- "China to Spain cargo train: Successful first 16,156-mile round trip on world's longest railway brings promise of increased trade". The Independent (UK). February 2015.
- Trott, Bill; Heavey, Susan (4 February 2015). "Cuomo says death toll in commuter train accident revised to six". Reuters. Retrieved 4 February 2015.
- Santora, Marc; Flegenheimer, Matt (February 4, 2015). "Investigation Underway in Metro-North Train Crash". New York Times. Retrieved February 4, 2015.
- "South West Rail Link". Transport for NSW. New South Wales Government. 2012-11-13. Archived from the original on 2012-07-18. Retrieved 2013-01-02.
- KABC-TV (February 24, 2015). "Photos: Metrolink Commuter Train Derails in Oxnard". ABC News.
- "Northern folks to enjoy new mode of transportation". The Star. 11 September 2015.
- Njus, Elliot (September 12, 2015). "The wait's over: TriMet's Orange Line, Tilikum Crossing up and running". The Oregonian. Retrieved September 12, 2015.
- "Sub-Saharan Africa gets its first metro". The Economist. 17 September 2015. Retrieved 23 September 2015.
- "Ethiopia: Addis Light Rail Eases Transportation Problem". AllAfrica. 22 September 2015. Retrieved 13 October 2015.
- "Latvia to Begin Constructing Rail Baltica". RZD-Partner Portal. 18 April 2008. Archived from the original on 2012-09-09. Retrieved 2018-01-06.
- AFP; Syed Ali Shah (November 18, 2015). "Death toll from Jaffar Express accident climbs to 19". Dawn. Retrieved December 13, 2015.
- "Two killed as train derails in Pakistan". Daiji World. November 17, 2015. Retrieved December 13, 2015.
- "20 die as train derails in Pakistan". New Kerala. November 17, 2015. Retrieved December 13, 2015.
- "南昆客专南百段开通 南宁-百色动车二等票82.5元". 广西新闻网. 2015-12-11. Retrieved 2015-12-11.
- "Apperley Bridge's new railway station opens". BBC News. December 2015. Retrieved 13 December 2015.
- "宁波-奉化城际铁路开工 对接轨道交通3号线" [Ningbo–Fenghua Intercity Railway begins construction and is scheduled to open in June 2019] (in Chinese). CNNB. December 30, 2015. Retrieved January 1, 2016.
- "Pakistan and Turkey Agree to Build Freight Rail Link". Railway-technology.com. 2010-01-26. Retrieved 2010-07-11.