The image is from Wikipedia Commons
A. W. Mailvaganam
Professor Vidya Jyothi
A. W. Mailvaganam
|Born||(1906-11-13)13 November 1906|
|Died||25 March 1987(1987-03-25) (aged 80)|
|Alma mater||Jaffna Central College
St. Benedict's College, Colombo
Royal College, Colombo
Ceylon University College
Emmanuel College, Cambridge
Early life and family
Mailvaganam was born on 16 November 1906. He was the son of Arumugam Wisvalingam from Suthumalai in northern Ceylon. He was educated at Jaffna Central College, St. Benedict's College, Colombo and Royal College, Colombo. After school he joined Ceylon University College, graduating in 1923 with first class BSc honours degree in science. He then joined Emmanuel College, Cambridge in 1924, obtaining an MA honours degree in Natural Science Tripos in 1928. He received a PhD from Cambridge in 1938.
After university Mailvaganam joined the Ceylon University College as a lecturer in physics in 1932. He became a professor of physics in 1939 and served Dean of the Faculty of Science, University of Ceylon between 1948 and 1954. He acted as vice chancellor on a number of occasions when Nicholas Attygalle was vice chancellor. He retired in 1966.
Mailvaganam was president of the Ceylon Association for the Advancement of Science and a member of the University Grants Commission and Board of Governors of the Institute of Fundamental Studies. He received honorary DSc degrees from the University of Colombo (December 1980) and University of Jaffna. The University of Colombo has named one of its annual awards after Mailvaganam.
- "Prof. A. W. Mailvaganam remembered". Daily News (Sri Lanka). 18 November 2005. Archived from the original on 19 June 2013.
- Sonnadara, D. U. J. "Vidyajothi Professor A.W. Mailvaganam". Institute of Physics, Sri Lanka.
- Arumugam, S. (1997). Dictionary of Biography of the Tamils of Ceylon. pp. 96–97.
- Siriwardene, P. P. G. L. (22 February 2001). "Mailvaganam and his place in the sphere of education". The Island (Sri Lanka).
- "Fourth Supplement". The London Gazette (38631): 2835. 3 June 1949.
- "Honorary Degrees". University of Colombo. Archived from the original on 2013-06-03.
- "Mailvaganam Memorial Award in Physics (1987)". University of Colombo. [permanent dead link]
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article A. W. Mailvaganam; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.