The image is from Wikipedia Commons
Brosch hitting a shot (c. 1965)
|Full name||Albert Wenzel Brosch|
|Born||(1911-11-08)November 8, 1911
Farmingdale, New York
|Died||December 10, 1975(1975-12-10) (aged 64)
Mineola, New York
|Height||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Spouse||Ellen Fredericka Blixt|
|Former tour(s)||PGA Tour|
|Best results in major championships
|Masters Tournament||T35: 1950|
|PGA Championship||T5: 1951|
|U.S. Open||6th: 1937|
|The Open Championship||DNP|
Brosch was born in Farmingdale, New York, on November 8, 1911, to Henry J. Brosch and his wife Catherine. In June 1936, he married Ellen Fredericka Blixt.
Brosch worked primarily as a club pro but also played on the PGA Tour, making 125 cuts between 1933 and 1962. He was the first player to shoot a round of 60 on the Tour, in the third round of the 1951 Texas Open. He went on to finish fourth, shooting a final-round 70 (268), three strokes out of the Dutch Harrison-Doug Ford playoff. Three weeks later, Brosch turned in his top PGA Tour performance, a runner-up finish at the St. Petersburg Open. He fell by six strokes to winner Jim Ferrier.
As a club pro, he worked primarily in the New York City area, including Bethpage, Cherry Valley Club, and Sands Point Golf Club. He won the Long Island Open 10 times, the Long Island PGA nine times, and the Metropolitan PGA six times.
He was drafted in 1943 and served in World War II, attaining the rank of corporal.
Death and legacy
Brosch died on December 10, 1975, and was interred in Long Island National Cemetery. Brosch was honored in 1975 as the PGA Metropolitan Section’s second Sam Snead Award recipient for his contributions to golf, the PGA and the Metropolitan Section.
Professional wins (25)
this list mat be incomplete
- 1938 Metropolitan PGA
- 1939 Long Island PGA Championship, Long Island Open
- 1940 Long Island PGA Championship
- 1941 Metropolitan PGA
- 1942 Long Island PGA Championship
- 1946 Long Island Open
- 1947 Metropolitan PGA, Long Island PGA Championship, Long Island Open
- 1948 Long Island Open
- 1949 Long Island PGA Championship, Long Island Open
- 1950 Metropolitan PGA, Long Island PGA Championship, Long Island Open
- 1951 Long Island PGA Championship, Long Island Open
- 1952 Metropolitan PGA
- 1953 Long Island Open
- 1956 Long Island Open
- 1959 Metropolitan PGA, Long Island PGA Championship, Long Island Open
- 1960 Long Island PGA Championship
Results in major championships
Note: Brosch never played in The Open Championship.
NT = no tournament
CUT = missed the half-way cut
R64, R32, R16, QF, SF = round in which player lost in PGA Championship match play
"T" indicates a tie for a place
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article Al Brosch; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.