The image is from Wikipedia Commons
Member of Parliament
|New Zealand Parliament|
Hogg contested the Masterton electorate in the 1887 election, but was beaten by George Beetham. He represented the Masterton electorate in the New Zealand House of Representatives for 21 years from 1890 to 1911.
New Liberal Party
Hogg was associated with the New Liberal Party in 1905. Like most of the other New Liberals, Hogg wanted the establishment of a State bank, but he did not share their zeal for constitutional innovations, rejecting the idea of the referendum and claiming that the Elective Executive Bill should be put in the rubbish bin.
Hogg was made Minister of Labour, Customs, and Roads and Bridges in 1909. But he resigned from his portfolios in the same year because of general dissatisfaction with the Ward Government's policies.
Alexander Hogg sought election in 1911 as an Independent Labour candidate, and in 1912 became a member of the first New Zealand Labour Party. However, in the 1914 contest he stood as a Liberal in Masterton.
He was a newspaper editor/owner of the Wairarapa Star.
Alexander Hogg on politics in 1882:
Our system of general government is imperfect. The framework is already eroded and moth-eaten, loaded with parasites, suffering from a species of dry rot
- "The General Election, 1887". National Library. 1887. p. 2. Retrieved 25 February 2012.
- Wilson 1985, p. 205.
- Wilson 1985, pp. 279.
- New Zealand Parliamentary Debates, 100: 713–714CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- See New Zealand Parliamentary Debates, 101: 611CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link) ; and New Zealand Parliamentary Debates, 131: 511CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Hamer, David A. (1988), The New Zealand Liberals: the years of power, 1891–1912, Auckland, [N.Z.]: Auckland University Press, ISBN 1-86940-014-3 p.299.
- Gustafson, Barry S. (1961), The Advent of the New Zealand Labour Party, 1910–1919 [M.A. – University of Auckland] p.301.
- "none", Wairarapa Star, 2 May 1882
Works by Hogg
Works about Hogg
- Media related to Alexander Wilson Hogg at Wikimedia Commons
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article Alexander Hogg; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.