The image is from Wikipedia Commons
Aurélio Pires Quaresma Martins (born November 24, 1966) is a São Toméan journalist, businessman and politician, who until May 2018 was leader of the Movement for the Liberation of São Tomé and Príncipe/Social Democratic Party (MLSTP/PSD).
Journalist and businessman
Martins started his career as a journalist at São Tomé and Príncipe's National Radio (Rádio Nacional) between 1984 and 1985, and later worked at Angola's National Radio (RNA) from 1999 to 2007. He is the head of construction and security company Gibela Group and president of FAMA (Aurélio Martins' Foundation).
Martins was elected to the National Assembly of São Tomé and Príncipe for the Lobata District in the 2010 legislative election and afterwards became president of the Humans Rights, Citizenship and Gender Commission in the National Assembly.
He was elected President of the MLSTP/PSD on the party's ordinary congress in January 2011.
He was suspended from the party in mid-May 2018 due to backing the government's dismissal of three supreme court justices (incl. the court's president) who had ruled in favour of handing over the Rosema Brewery in Neves - controlled by the party's largest donor Antonio Monteiros and his brother Domingos Monteiros, who were both MPs for the party - to an Angolan businessman. He was replaced as party president with Jorge Bom Jesus at an extraordinary congress on 30 June.
Martins was elected Figura do Ano (“São Toméan of the Year”) in 2007, 2008 and 2009.
- "Téla Nón: Aurélio Martins eleito novo líder do MLSTP/PSD". telanon.info. 2011. Retrieved 9 June 2011.
- "Téla Nón: Parceria entre a Fundação Aurélio Martins e a Cámara de Maia-Portugal". telanon.info. 2010. Retrieved 1 June 2010.
- "Angop: Fundação Aurélio Martins e FESA perspectivam acordo de parceria". portalangop.co.ao. 2010. Retrieved 4 January 2010.
- "BBCParaAfrica.com: Aurélio Martins eleito presidente do MLSTP-PSD". bbc.co.uk. 2011. Retrieved 9 June 2011.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2018-09-24. Retrieved 2018-10-11.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Téla Nón: Aurélio Martins eleito figura do ano 2008 em São Tomé e Príncipe". telanon.info. 2011. Retrieved 8 June 2011.
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article Aurélio Martins; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.