The image is from Wikipedia Commons
Avon, North Carolina
Avon, North Carolina
Sunset over the northern outskirts of Avon
|Named for||River Avon[disambiguation needed]|
|• Total||2.41 sq mi (6.24 km2)|
|• Land||2.36 sq mi (6.10 km2)|
|• Water||0.05 sq mi (0.14 km2)|
|Elevation||20 ft (6 m)|
|• Density||329/sq mi (127.2/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1018881|
Avon is located on the North Carolina Outer Banks at latitude 35°21'7" North, longitude 75°30'39" West. The village is south of Salvo and north of Buxton on Hatteras Island. The United States Postal Service has assigned Avon the ZIP Code 27915.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the Avon CDP has a total area of 2.41 square miles (6.24 km2), of which 2.36 square miles (6.10 km2) is land and 0.05 square miles (0.14 km2), or 2.27%, is water. Avon is bordered to the east by the Atlantic Ocean and to the west by Pamlico Sound.
Historically named "Kinnakeet", the village was renamed "Avon" by the U.S. Postal Service when a post office was established there in 1883. The U.S. Life-Saving Service constructed the Little Kinnakeet Life Saving Station in 1874, remaining active, under the Coast Guard from 1915, until decommissioned in 1954. The building is now part of the Cape Hatteras National Seashore.
According to the Trewartha climate classification system, Avon, North Carolina has a humid subtropical climate with hot and humid summers, cool winters and year-around precipitation (Cfak). Cfak climates are characterized by all months having an average mean temperature > 32.0 °F (> 0.0 °C), at least eight months with an average mean temperature ≥ 50.0 °F (≥ 10.0 °C), at least one month with an average mean temperature ≥ 71.6 °F (≥ 22.0 °C) and no significant precipitation difference between seasons. During the summer months in Avon, a cooling afternoon sea breeze is present on most days, but episodes of extreme heat and humidity can occur with heat index values ≥ 100 °F (≥ 38 °C). Avon is prone to hurricane strikes, particularly during the Atlantic hurricane season which extends from June 1 through November 30, sharply peaking from late August through September. During the winter months, episodes of cold and wind can occur with wind chill values < 15 °F (< -9 °C). The plant hardiness zone in Avon is 8b with an average annual extreme minimum air temperature of 18.5 °F (-7.5 °C). The average seasonal (Dec-Mar) snowfall total is < 2 inches (< 5 cm), and the average annual peak in nor'easter activity is in February.
According to the A. W. Kuchler U.S. potential natural vegetation types, Avon, North Carolina would have a dominant vegetation type of Live oak/Sea Oats Uniola paniculata (90) with a dominant vegetation form of Coastal Prairie (20).
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Avon CDP, North Carolina". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Archived from the original on February 13, 2020. Retrieved November 24, 2015.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Avon, North Carolina
- Avon, North Carolina History Archived March 28, 2006, at the Wayback Machine
- Little Kinnakeet Lifesaving Station: Home to Unsung Heroes Archived May 3, 2006, at the Wayback Machine
- "USDA Interactive Plant Hardiness Map". United States Department of Agriculture. Retrieved August 6, 2019.
- "PRISM Climate Group, Oregon State University". Retrieved August 6, 2019.
- "Water Temperature Table of All Coastal Regions". Archived from the original on September 5, 2017. Retrieved August 6, 2019.
- "U.S. Potential Natural Vegetation, Original Kuchler Types, v2.0 (Spatially Adjusted to Correct Geometric Distortions)". Retrieved August 6, 2019.
"Attendance Zone Information". Dare County Schools. Retrieved 2021-04-12.
Cape Hatteras Elementary School -- All areas South of the Oregon Inlet Bridge[...]Cape Hatteras Secondary School -- All areas South of the Oregon Inlet Bridge
- Little Kinnakeet Lifesaving Station: Home to Unsung Heroes, a National Park Service Teaching with Historic Places (TwHP) lesson plan
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article Avon, North Carolina; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.