The image is from Wikipedia Commons
Jalal Al-Din Taheri
Jalal Al-Din Taheri
Jalal Al-Din Taheri Hossein Abadi
(1926-01-01)January 1, 1926
|Died||June 2, 2013(2013-06-02) (aged 87)
|Other names||سید جلالالدین طاهری اصفهانی|
|Known for||Friday payers Imam of Isfahan
Member of Assembly of Experts
|Relatives||Abdul Khalegh Taheri (Father)|
Jalal Al-Din Taheri Esfahani ( سید جلالالدین طاهری اصفهانی, sometimes spelled Jalaluddin Taheri or Jalaleddin Taheri, 1 January 1926 – 2 June 2013) was an Iranian scholar, theologian and Islamic philosopher. He was a critic of Islamic extremism and was the representative of the Supreme Leader of Iran.
Taheri was a member of Assembly of Experts and representative of Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini in Isfahan province. In 2002, Taheri resigned after 30 years as prayer leader in Isfahan. Taheri's resignation letter complained of "generalized corruption of religious power in Iran." On 30 June 2009, Taheri wrote an open letter in which he called Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's presidency illegitimate.
Taheri died on 2 June 2013 at near 5 A.M after 35 days of hospitalization due to Respiratory arrest in one of the Isfahan's hospital. He suffered respiratory disease for a long time. "Tens of thousands" attended his funeral in what was reportedly "Iran's biggest anti-government protest for years". Mourners chanted anti-government slogans such as “the political prisoners must freed,” and, “Mousavi and Karroubi must be freed,” calling Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei a dictator. He was buried in his hometown in Golestan Shohaha camstry beside his son.
- "Prisoners' families meet with religious leader". Iran Daily Brief. 18 May 2012. Retrieved 11 November 2012.
- Slavin, Barbara (2007). Bitter Friends, Bosom Enemies: Iran, the U.S. and the Twisted Path to Confrontation. New York: St. Martin's Press. p. 150.
- "آیت الله طاهری: تصدی مجدد رئیس دولت نامشروع و غاصبانه است". BBC. 2009. Retrieved 11 November 2012.
- "حضرت آیت الله طاهری به ملکوت اعلی پیوست". 2 June 2013.
- "Video: Iran funeral for dissident Ayatollah Jalaluddin Taheri turns into anti-government protest - only 10 days ahead of Iran's presidential elections". The Independent (London). 5 June 2013. Retrieved 5 June 2013.
- "Iran dissident's funeral turns into anti-government protest". 4 June 2013. BBC News.
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article Jalal Al-Din Taheri; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.