The image is from Wikipedia Commons
|• Mayor||Meki Arvas (AKP)|
|• Kaymakam||Muhammet Öztabak|
|• District||489.69 km2 (189.07 sq mi)|
|• District density||35/km2 (91/sq mi)|
Bahçesaray (Kurdish: Miks) is town and district in Van Province in Turkey. It was a bucak in Pervari district of Siirt Province until 1964 and Gevaş district of Van Province between 1964 and 1987. It is at a distance of 110 kilometres (68 mi) from Van.
The name comes from Persian باغچه سرای "bāghche-sarāy" which means "the Garden Palace". Its former name was Müküs, derived from Armenian Mokkʿ (Armenian: Մոկք) region. The name of the city in Armenian: Մոկս, Moks. In Kurdish: Miks, derived from the Armenian. The word "Mokk'" in classical Armenian language means: "the place of the magic". According to the legend, Amenap'rkich ("Wholly Saviour") abbey that was nearby Moks, has the grave of a magician by name Gaspar. Probably name of "the place of the magic" or just "Mokk" is connected with this mysterious personality. But scientific sources say that in the Urartu era there existed the Moxene tribe and Moxoene, so the names Mokk' and Moks originated from this tribe's name.
On 4 and 5 February 2020, a pair of avalanches struck a highway in the district, leaving at least 41 people dead and 84 others injured.
- "BELEDİYE BAŞKANI MEKİ ARVAS GÖREVİNE BAŞLADI" (in Turkish). Retrieved 19 February 2020.
- "Bahçesaray Kaymakamı". www.van.gov.tr. Retrieved 19 February 2020.
- "Area of regions (including lakes), km²". Regional Statistics Database. Turkish Statistical Institute. 2002. Retrieved 5 March 2013.
- "Population of province/district centers and towns/villages by districts - 2012". Address Based Population Registration System (ABPRS) Database. Turkish Statistical Institute. Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- Adem Avcıkıran (2009). Kürtçe Anamnez Anamneza bi Kurmancî (PDF) (in Turkish and Kurdish). p. 57. Archived (PDF) from the original on 27 January 2020. Retrieved 17 December 2019.
- Aydın, Suavi; Verheij, Jelle (2012). Jorngerden, Joost; Verheij, Jelle (eds.). Social Relations in Ottoman Diyarbekir, 1870-1915. Brill. p. 27. ISBN 9789004225183.
- Aydın, Suavi; Verheij, Jelle (2012). Jorngerden, Joost; Verheij, Jelle (eds.). Social Relations in Ottoman Diyarbekir, 1870-1915. Brill. p. 38. ISBN 9789004225183.
- "Avalanche in Turkey wipes out rescue team; 38 dead overall". Associated Press. 5 February 2020. Archived from the original on 5 February 2020. Retrieved 5 February 2020.
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article Bahçesaray (district); it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.