The image is from Wikipedia Commons
Berndt von Staden
Berndt von Staden
|West German Ambassador to the United States|
February 1973 – November 1979
|Preceded by||Rolf Friedemann Pauls|
|Succeeded by||Peter Hermes|
|Born||(1919-06-24)24 June 1919
|Died||17 October 2014(2014-10-17) (aged 95)
Wendelgard von Neurath
( m. 1961)
He was head of the Consular Section of the West German Embassy in Brussels, from 1953 to 1955. In 1958, he was posted to the Commission of the European Economic Community. In 1961, he married Wendelgard, Freiin von Neurath (born 1926). In 1963, he was Counsellor at the West German Embassy in Washington. Then he was Head of Political Department of the Foreign Office in Bonn.
In his memoir, he describes the beginning of the turn from confrontation to détente, which he observed as ambassador of the Federal Republic of Germany, during the Kennedy and Johnson administrations in Washington, D.C.. In the governments of Willy Brandt and Helmut Schmidt, he was the Head of Foreign Relations and Security in the Federal Chancellery in the shaping the policy of détente.
- Zwischen Eiszeit und Tauwetter, Diplomatie in einer Epoche des Umbruchs. Erinnerungen, wjs, Berlin 2005, ISBN 978-3-937989-05-1
- Erinnerungen aus der Vorzeit: Eine Jugend im Baltikum 1919–1939, Siedler, Berlin 1999, ISBN 3-88680-670-7
- Ende und Anfang, Erinnerungen 1939–1963, iPa, Vaihingen/Enz 2001, ISBN 3-933486-28-9
- Death notice[permanent dead link] in Ludwigsburger Kreiszeitung
- Summary record of a meeting between Étienne Davignon and Berndt von Staden (15 October 1970) on CVCE website
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article Berndt von Staden; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.