The image is from Wikipedia Commons
Busted (Harlan Howard song)
|Song by Harlan Howard|
"Busted" is a song written by Harlan Howard in 1962. It was recorded by Johnny Cash (with the Carter Family) for Cash's 1963 album Blood, Sweat and Tears. It has been recorded by several notable artists, including Ray Charles (also in 1963) and John Conlee (1982).
The song is about a dirt-poor farmer struggling to support his family, bemoaning a stack of bills, his family's needs, animals that won't produce and land that is barren. He even tries to ask his brother for assistance, but his brother was actually going to come to him for help. Finally, he admits he's going to pack up his family and leave to find a better life.
|Single by Ray Charles|
|from the album Ingredients in a Recipe for Soul|
- Johnny Cash, with the Carter Family, reached No. 13 on Billboard's Hot Country Singles chart in 1963.
- Ray Charles reached No. 4 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in 1963. This was from his album Ingredients in a Recipe for Soul. A live version with Willie Nelson was included in Charles' 2005 duets album Genius & Friends.
- John Conlee reached No. 6 on Billboard's Hot Country Singles chart in 1982.
- Harlan Howard obituaries: New York Times and bmi.com
- "Busted" at Allmusic.com
- Lyrics of this song at MetroLyrics
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article Busted (Harlan Howard song); it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.