The image is from Wikipedia Commons
California State Controller
|State Controller of California|
Seal of the California State Controller
|Term length||Four years, two term limit|
|Inaugural holder||John S. Houston
The State Controller of California is the chief financial officer of the U.S. state of California. The post has broader responsibilities and authority than the California State Treasurer. Responsibilities include investigative authority for every dollar spent by the state, and being an ex-officio member of the state's Board of Equalization.
The State Controller is elected to a four-year term but is limited to two terms. The current state controller is Betty Yee (D).
- As the state's chief fiscal officer, acts as the state's accountant and bookkeeper of all public funds.
- Administers the state payroll system and unclaimed property laws.
- Serves on 76 boards and commissions, including the Board of Equalization, Franchise Tax Board, CalPERS, and CalSTRS.
- Conducts audits and reviews of state operations. The office performs a multitude of financial audits, compliance audits and attestations. The areas of government audited and reviewed by the State Controller include California School Districts, the California State Lottery, Oil and Gas Lease Royalties, State Agencies, RDAs, and a multitude of local governments. It is considered one of the premiere audit agencies of the State of California.
The Office has a staff of Deputy State Controllers that help the State Controller fulfill her elected duties, including sitting on the Board of Equalization and other boards for the State Controller in absentia. Noted former Deputy State Controllers include Barrett McInerney, James Burton, and Laurette Healey.
List of California State Controllers
|John S. Houston||Democratic||1849–1852|
|Winslow S. Pierce||Democratic||1852–1854|
|George W. Whitman||American||1856–1857|
|Edward F. Burton||American||1857|
|George W. Whitman||American||1857–1858|
|Aaron R. Melony||Lecompton Democrat||1858–1860|
|Samuel H. Brooks||Lecompton Democrat||1860–1861|
|James S. Gillan||Democratic||1861–1862|
|Gilbert R. Warren||Republican||1862–1863|
|George R. Oulton||Constitutional Union||1863–1867|
|James J. Green||Republican||1871–1875|
|James W. Mandeville||Democratic||1875–1876|
|William B. C. Brown||Democratic||1876–1877|
|Daniel M. Kenfield||Republican||1877–1883|
|John P. Dunn||Democratic||1883–1891|
|Edward P. Colgan||Republican||1891–1906|
|A. B. Nye||Republican||1906–1913|
|John S. Chambers||Republican||1913–1920|
|Ray L. Riley||Republican||1921–1937|
|Harry B. Riley||Republican||1937–1946|
|Robert C. Kirkwood||Republican||1953–1959|
|Houston I. Flournoy||Republican||1967–1975|
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article California State Controller; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.