The image is from Wikipedia Commons
Carlo Savina playing guitar (1954)
|Born||(1919-08-02)2 August 1919
|Died||23 June 2002(2002-06-23) (aged 82)
|Other names||Herbert Buckman, Charles Hanger, James Munshin|
|Known for||Amarcord, The Godfather, The Bear|
Carlo Savina (2 August 1919 - 23 June 2002) was an Italian composer and conductor who composed, arranged, and conducted music for films-and is especially remembered for being the music director of films such as The Godfather (1972), Amarcord (1973), and The Bear (1988).
Savina worked with many of the notable film score composers of the 20th century including: Ennio Morricone, Armando Trovajoli, Nino Rota, Mario Nascimbene, Stanley Myers, Stephen Sondheim, Philippe Sarde, and Miklos Rozsa. His work ranged from composing music for frequent spaghetti westerns such as Johnny Oro to being the musical director and conductor in Federico Fellini's Orchestra Rehearsal.
Carlo Savina came from a musical family—his father was the first clarinet for the orchestra of Italian public radio broadcaster EIAR. Carlo learned the violin as a child and went on to graduate from the Conservatory of Music Giuseppe Verdi in Turin where he studied piano, violin, composition, and conducting. In 1945 he began composing music for radio. Early in his career he was awarded a prize by the Accademia Musicale Chigiana. He started his own orchestra and soon was famous. In 1950 he began composing and arranging music for film. For the next thirty years he composed, arranged, and conducted music for over 200 films and became one of the most prolific, and perhaps underrated, screen and television composers of the 20th century.
- 1954 Toto Seeks Peace
- 1955 Girls of Today
- 1958 Herod the Great
- 1959 Head of a Tyrant
- 1960 It Started in Naples
- 1961 A Difficult Life
- 1962 War Gods of Babylon
- 1962 The Fury of Achilles
- 1962 Samson Against the Sheik
- 1962 Eva
- 1963 The Rebel Gladiators
- 1963 Slave Queen of Babylon
- 1963 Hercules Against the Mongols
- 1964 Hercules Against the Barbarians
- 1964 Spartacus and the Ten Gladiators
- 1964 Terror in the Crypt
- 1965 Gli amanti latini
- 1965 Secret Agent Fireball
- 1965 Bullet in the Flesh
- 1965 Här kommer bärsärkarna
- 1965 Veneri al sole
- 1966 The Man Who Laughs
- 1966 Bob Fleming... Mission Casablanca
- 1966 Few Dollars for Django
- 1966 Johnny Oro
- 1967 Massacre in the Black Forest
- 1968 The Young, the Evil and the Savage
- 1968 Vengeance
- 1968 Between God, the Devil and a Winchester
- 1968 A Long Ride from Hell
- 1969 Malenka
- 1969 The Unnaturals
- 1970 And God Said to Cain
- 1970 A Suitcase for a Corpse
- 1970 Mr. Superinvisible
- 1970 Hey Amigo! A Toast to Your Death
- 1971 Eye of the Spider
- 1971 The Last Traitor
- 1972 Naked Girl Killed in the Park
- 1973 Amarcord
- 1973 Love and Anarchy
- 1973 Lisa and the Devil
- 1974 I figli di nessuno
- 1974 The Killer Reserved Nine Seats
- 1974 The Stranger and the Gunfighter
- 1975 Reflections in Black
- 1975 Savage Man Savage Beast
- 1977 Nine Guests for a Crime
- 1978 The Perfect Crime
- 1981 Comin' at Ya!
- 1982 Hunters of the Golden Cobra
- 1985 Pizza Connection
- "Carlo Savina, Ritratto di un Autore". CAM Original Soundtracks. Archived from the original on 2011-07-26. Retrieved 4 September 2018.
- "Spaghetti Westerns, Vol. 3 Soundtrack CD". CD Universe. Archived from the original on 2011-12-19. Retrieved 4 September 2018.
- Tylski, Alexandre (April–May 2003). "Cadrage: An analysis of Orchestra Rehearsal, 1979". Cadrage. Archived from the original on 2017-02-02. Retrieved 2011-04-12.
- Musiker, Reuben; Musiker, Naomi (1998). Ades, David, ed. Conductors and Composers of Popular Orchestral Music: A Biographical and Discographical Sourcebook. Greenwood Publishing Group. p. 240. ISBN 9780313302602.
- "Carlo Savina Filmography". Fandango. Archived from the original on 2013-01-22. Retrieved 4 September 2018.
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article Carlo Savina; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.