The image is from Wikipedia Commons
City New South Wales rugby league team
|Governing body||New South Wales Rugby League|
|Head coach||Brad Fittler|
|Most caps||12 - Sidney Pearce Junior|
|Top try-scorer||11 - Brian Carlson|
|Top point-scorer||91 - Michael Cronin|
| City 29–8 Country
(10 June 1911)
|First City vs Country Origin|
| City Origin 30–22 Country Origin
(May 16th 1987)
|City 55–2 Country (May 17th 1980)|
|Country Origin 42–10 City Origin (Jun 8th 2001)|
The Sydney Rugby League team, known as the City Rugby League team, or Combined Sydney, or Sydney Firsts, or Sydney Capitals, was a representative rugby league team consisting of players formerly of the New South Wales Rugby League competition, one of two federations in the state of New South Wales. City played annually in the City vs Country Origin competition against the representative team of New South Wales' other federation, Country Rugby League.
The New South Wales City team first competed against New South Wales Country on 10 June 1911 which City won 29-8. The first time the match was made an annual event began in 1928 with NSW Country defeating City 35-34. The first City V Country origin match occurred on May 16, 1987 with City running out winners 30-22.
In 2016, it was announced by the NRL that the City V Country fixture was to be scrapped beyond the 2017 season. The reasons behind the decision were to clubs pulling their players out of the match and others cited player drain as a reason for the fixture to be culled. There was also a sentiment that the fixture had gone from being a genuine audition match for a potential New South Wales origin jersey to being a regular game as most of the New South Wales side had already been picked prior to the match starting.
Overall, New South Wales City were much more successful than New South Wales Country winning a total of 68 games in the annual fixture as opposed to Country's 22 wins with City winning each year from 1976 to 1991.
Any players whose junior football was played for a club within the greater area of Sydney city is deemed eligible to play for the City RL. Meanwhile, anyone from outside the Sydney area can be considered for selection for Country RL Team.
Kit suppliers and sponsors
2017 final City vs Country Match
2017 Women's City vs Country Match
- List of New South Wales City Origin rugby league team players
- Brisbane rugby league team
- Newcastle rugby league team
- Country New South Wales rugby league team
- "NRL 2015: How will the City v Country fixture be remembered?". Fox Sports.
- "City v Country Origin: Full-strength line-ups if it were a genuine NSW Origin trial". Fox Sports.
- "NRL scraps City v Country fixture, last edition to be played in Mudgee in 2017". www.abc.net.au.
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article City New South Wales rugby league team; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.