The image is from Wikipedia Commons
|Born|| (1939-08-11) August 11, 1939
Vandalia, Michigan, U.S.
|Known for||Columnist, author|
Mishler was hired by Krause Publications in 1963 as an associate editor for Numismatic News before being promoted to full editor from 1964-66. He became the publisher for all numismatic publications from 1966 to 1975, publisher for all publications from 1975 to 1988, and was named executive vice president from 1975 to 1988, senior vice president from 1988 to 1990. He was appointed president of Krause Publications effective January 1, 1991.
He is still an active numismatic writer, writing "On The Scene" columns for Numismatic News as of 2020.
Mishler was influential in the sale of Carson City Morgan dollars from the GSA hoard, and served on the United States Assay Commission in 1973. He successfully lobbied for the 40% silver Eisenhower dollars to be issued for collectors from 1971-78. His efforts also helped create the Bicentennial quarter, half and dollar coins in 1975-76.
Mishler has received several awards including the Numismatists of Wisconsin Meritorious Service Award in 1972, Society for International Numismatics Award of Excellence in 1981, ANA Medal of Merit in 1983, Farran Zerbe Memorial Award in 1984, and Glen Smedley Memorial Award in 1991. He is a life member of the American Numismatic Association and life fellow of the American Numismatic Society. He was named Numismatist of the Year in 2002, and in 2004 he was inducted into the ANA Numismatic Hall of Fame. He also received the Burnett Anderson Memorial Award for Excellence in Numismatic Writing in 2005.
Mishler was married to Sandra Rae Knutson in 1963 until her death in 1972. He married Sylvia Mae Doyle on February 27, 1976, and has three daughters.
- "Clifford Leslie Mishler". wustl.edu. Retrieved August 30, 2020.
- "ANA names Cliff Mishler 2002 Numismatist of the Year". money.org. American Numismatic Association. Retrieved August 30, 2020.
- "CLIFFORD MISHLER ON 55 YEARS IN IOLA". coinbooks.org. The Numismatic Bibliomania Society (NBS). Retrieved August 30, 2020.
- "ANA PRESIDENTS 1891 TO THE PRESENT". money.org. American Numismatic Association. Retrieved August 31, 2020.
- Mishler, Clifford (April 14, 2020). "On the Scene: ANA National Money Show Attendance Rounds Out February". Numismatic News (Volume 69, Number 9). Active Interest Media.
- Coin World: Celebrating 60-The Most Influential People in Numismatics 1960-2020. Amos Media (Coin World). 2021. p. 124.
- "Clifford Leslie Mishler Biography". nnp.wustl.edu. EPNNES & Washington University in St. Louis. Retrieved August 31, 2020.
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article Clifford Mishler; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.