The image is from Wikipedia Commons
Communal Democracy Party
|Merger of||TKP and BDH|
|Headquarters||North Nicosia, Northern Cyprus|
|International affiliation||Socialist International|
|Colours||Red, Blue, White|
3 / 50
1 / 28
The Communal Democracy Party (Turkish: Toplumcu Demokrasi Partisi, TDP) is a social-democratic political party in the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus. The party came into being in May 2007 as a merger of the Peace and Democracy Movement with the Communal Liberation Party. At the 2009 legislative elections for the Assembly of the Republic in the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus, the TDP, in its first elections, won 2 out of 50 seats and 6.87% of the popular vote. In 2013, it took part in the interim Siber cabinet with three ministers. At the 2013 legislative elections, the party increased its share of the vote to 7.41% and its number of MPs to 3. The TDP currently holds the mayorship of the Nicosia Turkish Municipality with Mehmet Harmancı.
In November 2016, MP Mehmet Çakıcı, the founder of the party and its leader until 2013, resigned from the party, as did former MP Mustafa Emiroğulları and 70 other members including the former Minister of Agriculture Sami Dayıoğlu. Many of these members had originated from the Communal Liberation Party and they criticised what they saw as the nepotism by Cemal Özyiğit. They went on to form a new party under the same name as their political origin.
2015 Turkish Cypriot presidential campaign
During his campaign, he put his voice forward regarding the ghost town Varosha, which is a very lively topic regarding the Cyprus problem. It was possible to see that Akıncı favoured a settling approach to solve this problem. Regarding Varosha, Akıncı stated that, "Instead of living side by side a corpse let Varosha become a lively city where people live, contractors from both communities do business together and young people can find jobs".
Akıncı went on to the second round by receiving 26.94% of the votes in the first round, and was elected president in the second round with 60.5% of the votes.
2 / 50
3 / 50
3 / 50
- Farid Mirbagheri, ed. (2009). Historical Dictionary of Cyprus. Scarecrow Press. p. 34. ISBN 978-0-8108-6298-2.
- "TDP'den 70 yeni istifa… Çakıcı: "Tabandan gelen bu fırtına yalnızca bir başlangıç"". Kıbrıs Postası. Retrieved 29 December 2016.
- "Akıncı adaylık başvurusunu saat 09.00'da yapacak". Retrieved 2015-04-04.
- "Akýncý: "Let Varosha become a lively town"". Retrieved 2015-04-04.
- "Socialist International - Progressive Politics For A Fairer World". www.socialistinternational.org. Retrieved 2018-09-18.
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article Communal Democracy Party; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.