The image is from Wikipedia Commons
Composite Gazetteer of Antarctica
The Composite Gazetteer of Antarctica (CGA) of the Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research (SCAR) is the authoritative international gazetteer containing all Antarctic toponyms published in national gazetteers, plus basic information about those names and the relevant geographical features. The Gazetteer includes also parts of the International Hydrographic Organization (IHO) General Bathymetric Chart of the Oceans (GEBCO) gazetteer for under-sea features situated south of 60° south latitude.
As of May 2019[update], the overall content of the CGA amounts to 37,893 geographic names for 19,803 features including some 500 features with two or more entirely different names, contributed by the following sources:
National Authorities for Antarctic place-names
- Country / Official authority
- Argentina: Instituto Geográfico Nacional, Servicio de Hidrografía Naval
- Australia: Australian Antarctic Names and Medals Committee
- Bulgaria: Antarctic Place-names Commission
- Canada: Geographical Names Board of Canada
- Chile: Instituto Hidrográfíco y Oceanográfico de la Armada de Chile (SHOA) and Instituto Geográfico Militar (IGM)
- China: Chinese Place-names Committee
- France: Commission de Toponymie des TAAF, Institut Géographique National (Commission of Toponymy of TAAF, National Geographic Institute)
- Germany: Ständiger Ausschuß für Geographische Namen (Permanent committee on geographical names)
- Italy: Comitato per i nomi geografici antartici (Antarctic geographic names Committee)
- Japan: Antarctic Place-names Committee of Japan
- New Zealand: Antarctic Place-names Committee of New Zealand
- Norway: Antarctic Place-names Committee of Norway, Norsk Polarinstitutt
- Poland: Committee of Polar Research of the Polish Academy of Sciences
- Russia: Russian Interministerial Commission on Geographical Names
- UK: British Antarctic Survey UK Antarctic Place-names Committee
- Uruguay: Instituto Antártico Uruguayo
- United States: United States Board on Geographic Names
- GEBCO: GEBCO Sub-Committee on Undersea Feature Names
- Composite Gazetteer of Antarctica (official website)
- SCAR Composite Gazetteer of Antarctica (CGA). NASA Global Change Master Directory (GCMD).
- Antarctic Digital Database (ADD). Scale 1:250000 topographic map of Antarctica with place-name search. Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research (SCAR). Since 1993, regularly upgraded and updated.
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article Composite Gazetteer of Antarctica; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.