The image is from Wikipedia Commons
Daniel K. Richter
Daniel K. Richter
|Born||October 15, 1954
|Facing East From Indian Country, Before the Revolution: America's Ancient Pasts|
Daniel K. Richter is an American historian specializing in early American history, especially colonial North America and Native American history before 1800. He serves as Roy F. and Jeannette P. Nichols Professor of American History at the University of Pennsylvania and is the Richard S. Dunn Director of the McNeil Center for Early American Studies. His book, Facing East from Indian Country was a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize in 2002.
Life and career
Richter was born in Erie, Pennsylvania. He earned his Ph.D. from Columbia University in 1984. Before teaching at the University of Pennsylvania, Richter had previously taught at Dickinson College and the University of East Anglia.
- 1993 Ray Allen Billington Award, Organization of American Historians, for The Ordeal of the Longhouse
- 1993 Frederick Jackson Turner Award, Organization of American Historians, for The Ordeal of the Longhouse
- 1994 Choice Outstanding Academic Book, for The Ordeal of the Longhouse
- 2001–02 Louis Gottschalk Prize in Eighteenth-Century History, for Facing East from Indian Country
- 2002 Pulitzer Prize finalist for Facing East from Indian Country
- The Lords Proprietors: Feudal Dreams in English America, 1660-1689, under contract with Harvard University Press.
- Trade, Land, Power: The Struggle for Eastern North America (University of Pennsylvania Press, 2013). ISBN 9780812245004.
- Before the Revolution: America’s Ancient Pasts (Harvard University Press, 2011; paperback 2013). ISBN 9780674072367.
- Facing East from Indian Country: A Native History of Early America (Harvard University Press, 2001; paperback 2003). ISBN 9780674011175.
- The Ordeal of the Longhouse: The Peoples of the Iroquois League in the Era of European Colonization (University of North Carolina Press, 1992). ISBN 9780807843949.
- Friends and Enemies in Penn’s Woods: Colonists, Indians, and the Racial Construction of Pennsylvania, co-editor with William Pencak (Pennsylvania State University Press, 2004). ISBN 978-0-271-02385-4.
- Beyond the Covenant Chain: The Iroquois and Their Neighbors in Indian North America, 1600-1800, co-editor with James H. Merrell (Pennsylvania State University Press, 2003). ISBN 978-0271022994.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-02-14. Retrieved 2009-11-11.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
www.pulitzer.org [Finalist: Facing East from Indian Country: A Native History of Early America, by Daniel K. Richter (Harvard University Press) Finalist: Facing East from Indian Country: A Native History of Early America, by Daniel K. Richter (Harvard University Press)] Check
|url=value (help). Retrieved 2018-03-23. Missing or empty
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article Daniel K. Richter; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.