The image is from Wikipedia Commons
Domingo de Salazar
Su Excelencia Reverendísima
Domingo de Salazar O.P.
|Bishop of Manila|
|Installed||February 6, 1579|
|Term ended||December 4, 1594|
|Successor||Ignacio Santibáñez, O.F.M.|
|Died||December 4, 1594 (aged 81–82)
Obispo Domingo de Salazar
|Spoken style||Su Excelencia Reverendísima|
He was born in La Rioja, Spain. On 6 February 1579, he was selected by the King of Spain and confirmed by Pope Gregory XIII as the first Bishop of Manila. He was installed in 1581. He strongly opposed enslaving the indigenous people of the Philippines. He served as Bishop of Manila until his death on 4 December 1594, aged 82.
- Eubel, Konrad (1923). HIERARCHIA CATHOLICA MEDII ET RECENTIORIS AEVI Vol III (second ed.). Münster: Libreria Regensbergiana. p. 234. (in Latin)
- Catholic Hierarchy: "Bishop Domingo Salazar, O.P." retrieved November 11, 2015
- "Archdiocese of Manila"Catholic-Hierarchy.org. David M. Cheney. Retrieved June 11, 2017
- "Metropolitan Archdiocese of Manila" GCatholic.org. Gabriel Chow. Retrieved February 29, 2016
External links and additional sources
- Cheney, David M. "Archdiocese of Manila". Catholic-Hierarchy.org. Retrieved March 25, 2018. (for Chronology of Bishops) [self-published]
- Chow, Gabriel. "Metropolitan Archdiocese of Manila". GCatholic.org. Retrieved March 25, 2018. (for Chronology of Bishops) [self-published]
- Domingo de Salazar profile, newadvent.org; accessed 12 October 2016.
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article Domingo de Salazar; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.