The image is from Wikipedia Commons
Norwegian theatrical poster
|Directed by||Petter Næss|
|Written by||Ingvar Ambjørnsen (novel Brødre i blodet)
|Starring||Per Christian Ellefsen
Marit Pia Jacobsen
Eli Anne Linnestad
Cecilie A. Mosli
|Music by||Lars Lillo-Stenberg|
|Edited by||Inge-Lise Langfeldt|
Elling is a Norwegian film directed by Petter Næss. Shot mostly in and around the Norwegian capital Oslo, the film, which was released in 2001, is primarily based on Ingvar Ambjørnsen's novel Brødre i blodet ("Blood brothers", 1996), one of a series of four featuring the Elling character – the others are Utsikt til paradiset ("A view of paradise", 1993), Fugledansen ("The bird dance", 1995), and Elsk meg i morgen ("Love me tomorrow", 1999). The film was followed by an original prequel not based on any of the novels, Mors Elling (2003), and a sequel, Elsk meg i morgen (2005) based on the fourth and last book in the series.
The movie deals with the main character, Elling, a man with generalized anxiety in his 40s, and his struggle to function normally in society. He suffers from anxiety, dizziness, and neurotic tendencies, preventing him from living on his own. Elling has lived with his mother for his entire life, and when his mother dies, the authorities take him from the apartment where he has always lived and send him to an institution. His roommate is the simpleminded, sex-obsessed Kjell Bjarne. The Norwegian government pays for the two to move into an apartment in Oslo, where every day is a challenge as they must prove they can get out into the real world and lead relatively normal lives. With the help of social worker Frank and a few new friends, they learn to break free from their respective conditions.
Elling has an approval rating of 85% on review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, based on 59 reviews, and an average rating of 7.10/10. The website's critical consensus states, "Quirky without being overly cutesy, Elling is a gentle, warm comedy". Metacritic assigned the film a weighted average score of 70 out of 100, based on 21 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
- Academy Awards: Best Foreign Language Film — Nominated (2002)
- Amanda Awards (Norway): Best Actor (Per Christian Ellefsen) — Nominated (2001)
In addition, the film was nominated and won several other awards all over the world.
- Elling — (Per Christian Ellefsen)
- Kjell Bjarne — (Sven Nordin)
- Reidun Nordsletten — (Marit Pia Jacobsen)
- Frank Åsli — (Jørgen Langhelle)
- Alfons Jørgensen — (Per Christensen)
- Gunn — (Hilde Olausson)
- Hauger — (Ola Otnes)
- Johanne — (Eli Anne Linnestad)
- Cecilie Kornes — (Cecilie A. Mosli)
- Haakon Willum — (Joachim Rafaelsen)
- Eriksen — (Per Gørvell)
- Servitør på bar — (Knud Dahl)
- Stasjonsbetjent — (Knut Haugmark)
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article Elling; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.