The image is from Wikipedia Commons
Eric in 2012
(1979-02-16) 16 February 1979
Seoul, South Korea
Na Hye-mi ( m. 2017)
|Revised Romanization||Mun Jeong-hyeok|
Eric Mun (born Mun Jung-hyuk on February 16, 1979) is a South Korean rapper and actor. He is a member and leader of the South Korean boy band Shinhwa. He is also well known for several dramas such as Phoenix (2004), Super Rookie (2005) and Another Oh Hae-young (2016). He was with Top Class Entertainment from 2007 to December 2013. In 2014, Mun and his manager of 10 years, Lee Jong-hyun, set up a new management agency, E&J Entertainment, for his individual activities. Mun is also the CEO of Shinhwa Company, the home agency of his group, with Lee Min-woo as co-CEO since 2011, and with the remaining members—Kim Dong-wan, Shin Hye-sung, Jun Jin and Andy Lee—as shareholders.
Mun was born in Seoul. He is the youngest of the three siblings with two older sisters. He attended Daechi Elementary School located in Seoul. When his family moved to the U.S, he went to John Burroughs Middle School located in Los Angeles. Mun spent his years at Parks Junior High School and Sunny Hills High School, both of which are located in Fullerton, California. In 1996 he returned to Korea and joined SM Entertainment as a trainee and was featured as a rapper on label mate girl group S.E.S.' single "I'm Your Girl" along with Andy. On March 24, 1998, with the stage name Eric, he debuted as leader and main rapper of group Shinhwa with their single "해결사" (The Solver) on KM Music Tank. He stated that their debut album, Resolver, did not perform well and the band almost disbanded. At the time, he thought seriously about giving up and returning to the U.S.
In 2005, Mun graduated from Dongguk University with a major in Theater and Film.
2004: Acting career beginnings
In 2002, Mun and his Shinhwa bandmates had cameo appearance in the movie Emergency 19 Act. In 2003 director Park Sung-soo cast him in a supporting role for MBC’s series Breathless (I Run). In early 2004, he appeared in the drama Phoenix (Bulsae).
In 2005, Mun starred in lead role in MBC's Super Rookie with actress Han Ga-in. It was also broadcast on Fuji Television. It got solid rating in Korea during the broadcast. Super Rookie was also a big hit in Japan after Fuji TV paid ₩2 billion for the broadcast rights in Japan. It was commercially successful in Japan when it was broadcast there. In December 2005, Mun went to promote Super Rookie in Japan, where he was greeted at the airport by a large crowd.
In early 2006, Mun was injured on the set of MBC drama Wolf, resulting in it being pulled off air after four episodes. Mun was injured whilst shooting a scene, near Namdaemun in Seoul, where he was to save co-star Han Ji-min from being run over by a car. The stunt car driver, misunderstanding the instructions given to him, drove at them at 40 km/h and did not stop in front of them as planned.
2008-2010: Military enlistment
Shinhwa's 10th Anniversary concert in March 2008, that marked the start of Shinhwa's hiatus as a group to fulfill mandatory military service. Before his army enlistment, Mun appeared in a period drama for the first time in his acting career with Strongest Chil Woo. With 30 million wons per episode for Strongest Chil Woo, Mun was the highest paid singer-turned-actor in the industry at the time.
Mun gave up his U.S. citizenship in 2003, to be able to serve his military service. He was the first Shinhwa member to enlist for mandatory military service in October 2008. Because of his back injury from the filming of Wolf, Mun served non-active duty after undergoing four weeks of basic training. He was discharged on 30 October 2010.
2011: Shinhwa Company
After being discharged, Mun's first project was supposed to be KBS' action drama Poseidon opposite Kim Ok-bin, set for broadcast in July 2011. However they dropped out when production was halted after the Bombardment of Yeonpyeong incident in November 2010. Instead, he appeared in another KBS drama, Spy Myung-wol with Han Ye-seul in July, playing a Korean wave star who is at the center of a kidnap plot by North Korean agents.
On 1 July 2011, Mun became CEO (with Lee Min-woo as co-CEO) of Shinhwa Company, a joint venture agency for members Shinhwa to perform as a group. The Company manages the group as a whole, whilst members' individual activities are managed by their respective agencies.
2012: Shinhwa reunion
In March 2012, Mun reunited with his Shinhwa bandmates for their comeback after four years, under the management of Shinhwa Company. The group released their tenth studio album The Return on March 23, 2012, launched the concerts 2012 Shinhwa Grand Tour: The Return throughout Asia and their first exclusive variety program Shinhwa Broadcast premiered on March 17, 2012, on cable channel JTBC.
2013: Shinhwa tour and leaving Top Class Management
On February 8, 2013, Shinhwa’s agency announced the group’s 2013 Shinhwa Grand Tour: The Classic to commemorate the group’s 15 years since their debut was revealed. The album's name called The Classic.
December 2013, Mun's contract with Top Class Entertainment came to an end. He did not re-sign another contract with Top Class Entertainment and no longer has any running of group Stellar whom he helped the management to produce and promote the original line up.
2014: Return to acting
In March 2014, Mun successfully concluded the 16th Anniversary Concerts with Shinhwa. After several casting offers from KBS, Mun returned to television in August 2014 with the drama Discovery of Love, which reunites him with Jung Yu-mi, who was his co-star in MBC's 2007 Que Sera, Sera. It was also announced that he had formed his own management company, E&J Entertainment, with his manager of 10 years, Lee Jong-hyun.
Despite its average 7% Nielsen rating, Mun and the team of Discovery of Romance received praise for their acting and Mun won a 'Triple Crown at KBS 2014 Year End Award (Excellent Actor, Best Couple, and Netizen Award). With this win, Mun had won acting awards at all three major Broadcasting Networks. In 2015, Discovery of Love was nominated for the 2015 Rockie Award in the Melodrama category alongside 30 Vies (Canada), EastEnders (UK), Grey’s Anatomy (USA), My Sunshine (China), and Mysterious Summer (Japan). In an 2015 Instiz discussion post about viewers' favorite drama characters, Mun's Kang Tae-ha Discovery of Romance stays in top 10 at #6.
2016: "Another Oh Hae-young" and "Three Meals a Day"
After Shinhwa's 18 Anniversary in March, Mun returned to acting and appeared in the South Korean TV cable (tvN) drama Another Oh Hae-young with Seo Hyun-jin. The drama premiered on May 2 with better rating than its predecessor Pied Piper. It broke its projected rating of 5% of on its 6th episode and becomes tvN's all-time highest rated drama for their Monday - Tuesday time-slot with the rating of 9.9% for its final episode. Another Oh Hae-young team was rewarded a trip to Thailand after the drama ended. At tvN10 Awards on October 9, Mun was awarded the title of "Ro-co King". Seo Hyun-jin was also crowned "Ro-co Queen" for their roles in Another Oh Hae-Young.
On September 16, in a preview for the new season of tvN "Three Meals a Day", it showed Mun joined as a cast member for Season 3 of Three Meals A Day - Fishing Village 3 with Lee Seo-jin and Yoon Kyun-sang. This season of Fishing Village was filmed at Deukryang Island. The season premiere was on October 14. It was Mun's first appearance as a cast member of a variety show without Shinhwa. Mun surprised everyone with his great cooking skills that earned him the E-Chef title. The show had great rating of above 10% on average with the highest rating of 11.536% (AGB) 13% (TNmS).
At the end of November 2016, Mun and Shinhwa released a mini album Unchanging: Orange as part one of their 13th album.
Mun was chosen to be the model for Jean Michael Basquiat a new premium golf wears and accessories by CJ E&M and ULOS, a Men's cosmetics & skincare by Ostuka Korea.
2017 - 2018: Marriage and Shinhwa's 20th Anniversary
Shinhwa followed up with a comeback in January 2017 with Unchanging: Touch as the second part of their 13th album. On March 24, Shinhwa released Shinhwa 18th, their first self-produced variety show through Naver's paid subscription platform for Vapp+.
Continue to be Jean Michael Basquiat and ULOS brand representative, Eric was also chosen to be the representative for Bibigo by CJ E&M, a global Korean food brand CJ Cheil Jedang. Later this year, together with Kim Sang-joong and Kim Myung-min Eric was chosen by Netmarble Games for their new CF, Lineage 2 Revolution, an online & mobile game. Netmmarble Game also released a web drama series featuring Kim Sang-joong, Kim Myung-min, and Eric for their big-scale mobile MMORPG Lineage2 Revolution. In the web drama, Eric played a rookie employee who was trying to survive the hierarchy in a corporate environment, meanwhile he was reigning as the King in Lineage2 Revolution game. However, it was revealed that Eric is an actual high ranking player of “Lineage2 Revolution” in real life.
In February of 2017 Eric and actress Na Hye-mi confirmed their relationship after it was reported in the news. The couple got married on July 1, 2017 at Youngnak Church in Jung-gu, Seoul, South Korea after five years of dating.
In 2018 Eric and Shinhwa had the whole year to celebrate the group's 20th anniversary since debut with various activities starting with a remake music video "All Your Dream", followed by a special fan party on March 24 & 25th. The group made a music comeback with a release of a new music video "Kiss Me Like That" in August, followed with a new mini album "Heart". They also met their fans through various fan events as well as appearances on variety shows. Shinhwa wrapped up their year-long anniversary celebration with a 2-day concert at Olympic Gymnastics Arena (KSPO Dome) on October 6th and 7th, followed by a concert at Taipei Arena on October 13th and Hong Kong Asia World Expo Hall on November 24th.
2019: New management, solo activities and return to acting
On January 1st, it was announced that Eric has joined his bandmate Andy at TOP Media. To everyone's surprise, Eric creates his own Youtube channel aguTV to share a various contents, from cookings, outtings to how he failed to get a ticket for his own fan meeting. The following month, on February 16th, he held a birthday fan meeting "2019 ERIC's Moonday" at Kwanglim Art Center, BBCH Hall. Eric was also cast in tvN's Season 3 of "Will The Locals Eat It?" in America (also known as 4 Wheeled Restaurant). The show premieres on April 18th.
Eric is expected to make a come back to drama this year. It was reported that Eric and Go Joon-hee are in talk to join KBS's fantasy rom-com drama "Perfume". The drama is set to be broadcast in June.
In 2014, Eric reportedly had been dating actress and model Na Hye-mi. However neither would confirm the relationship. Their dating resurfaced again in February 2017 and both confirmed their relationship through their agency. After five years of dating, Mun and Na got married on July 1, 2017 in a private church ceremony with family and friends at Youngnak Presbyterian Church in Jung-gu, Seoul.
|2005||Super Rookie'||Kang Ho||
|Invincible Parachute Agent||Choi Kang||
|2007||Que Sera Sera||Kang Tae-joo||
|2011||Spy Myung-Wol||Kang Woo|
|2014||Discovery of Love||Kang Tae-ha|
|2016||Another Oh Hae-young||Park Do-kyung||
|2002||Emergency Act 19||himself (cameo)|
|2005||A Bittersweet Life||Tae-goo|
|Diary of June||Kim Dong-wook|
||Three Meals a Day - Fishing Village 3||
||Three Meals a Day - Sea Ranch|
||The Fishermen and The City||
|Law of the Jungle - Sabah (episode 325–333)||
|2 Days & 1 Night||
||Guest with Shinhwa|
||4 Wheeled Restaurant - America||
Awards and nominations
||23rd MBC Drama Awards||Best New Actor||
|Popularity Award, Actor||Won|
||41st Paeksang Arts Awards||Best New Actor (TV)||
|Most Popular Actor (TV)||Won|
|24th MBC Drama Awards||Top Excellence Award, Actor||Won|
||42nd Paeksang Arts Awards||Best New Actor (Film)||
|14th SBS Drama Awards||Excellence Award, Actor in a Miniseries||
|Top 10 Stars||Won|
||28th KBS Drama Awards||Top Excellence Award, Actor||
|Excellence Award, Actor in a Miniseries||Won|
|Netizen's Award, Actor||Won|
|Best Couple (with Jung Yu-Mi)||Won|
||5th APAN Star Awards||Excellence Award, Actor in a Miniseries||
|Best Couple (with Seo Hyun-Jin)||Nominated|
|tvN10 Awards||Best Actor||Nominated|
- "Way Back Wednesday: Shinhwa | allkpop.com". allkpop. Retrieved 2016-12-03.
- "Eric Steps Out of Character for Recruit". Chosun Ilbo. 7 April 2005. Retrieved 2011-11-08.
- 수미 (17 July 2011). "[11.07.15] 10asia's 10 Line feature: Eric". wordpress.com. Retrieved 14 January 2017.
- Kim, Jessica (29 October 2009). "Han Ga-in signs with Kim Ha-neul's agency". 10 Asia. Retrieved 2012-04-05.
- "Is it all over already? Gloomy signs overshadow rosy statistics of 'Hallyu'". hancinema.net. Retrieved 14 January 2017.
- "Huge Crowds Greet Eric's Arrival in Tokyo" Chosun Ilbo. 19 December 2005. Retrieved 2011-11-08.
- "Eric Hurt in Gallant Attempt to Save Han Ji-min". Chosun Ilbo. 23 January 2006. Retrieved 12 February 2011.
- "Moon Jeong-hyeok Chooses Interesting Roles" Dong-A Ilbo. 31 August 2006. Retrieved 2011-11-08.
- Han, Sang Hee. "Chil-woo to Bring Joseon Hero to TV". Korea Times. Retrieved 12 February 2011. [dead link]
- "Shinhwa member Eric returns to TV as the highest-paid singer-turned-actor". AFspot. Sports Hankook. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 25 April 2015.
- "Shinhwa Eric, Army Enlistment Date to be 2008".
- "Shinhwa Eric Mun gave up his American Citizenship to serve in the army".
- Choi Jun-yong "Shinhwa Eric discharged from military" 10 Asia. 1 November 2010. Retrieved 2012-04-05.
- Kim, Jessica (2 August 2011). "Choi Si-won, Lee Si-young embark Poseidon". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-04-05.
- Hong, Luica (1 June 2011). "Eric to make comeback to small screen in Han Ye-seul starrer". 10 Asia. Retrieved 2012-03-21.
- Kwon, Mee-yoo (10 July 2011). "Drama explores inter-Korean love story". Korea Times. Retrieved 20 July 2011.
- "Shinhwa Form Their Own Agency" Chosun Ilbo. 3 August 2011. Retrieved 2011-11-05.
- "에릭, '김가영 걸그룹' 스텔라 프로듀서 변신" Naver News 16 May 2011. Retrieved 2012-04-05. (in Korean)
- 신화, 섬뜩한 뱀파이어 변신…23일 10집 발매. Nate News (in Korean). 17 March 2012. Retrieved 2012-03-19.
- "Shinhwa to release upcoming 10th album on March 23". 10 Asia. 16 March 2012. Retrieved 2012-03-26.
- Hong, Lucia (1 February 2012). "Shinhwa releases teaser video for upcoming concert". 10 Asia. Retrieved 13 December 2012.
- Suk, Monica (26 March 2012). "CONCERT REVIEW: Shinhwa: Reborn with The Return". 10 Asia. Retrieved 13 December 2012.
- Park, HyunMin (4 March 2012). "Shinhwa to have Shinhwa Broadcast". Mnet News. CJ E&M. Retrieved 12 November 2012.
- Ho, Stewart. "BEG's Gain's 'Nostalgia' to Feature Shinwha Eric's Rapping". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 25 April 2015.
- ""Shinhwa Thanks Global Fans for 20's Mwave Global Star Award at '20's Choice Awards"". Mwave. July 18, 2013. Archived from the original on August 30, 2017. Retrieved July 18, 2013.
- "Shinhwa Grabs 1st TV Music Show Crowns on Music Core". 10Asia. 10Asia. 20 April 2012. Archived from the original on 2013-11-15.
- "Shinhwa No. 1 on Mnet's music show with "Venus"". Mwave. 25 May 2013.
- "[M COUNTDOWN Hall of Fame] Shinhwa's 'Brand New'". Mwave. 7 June 2013.
- "[News] Eric doesn't produce Stellar anymore...already left his agency". tumblr.com. Retrieved 14 January 2017.
- "에릭, 스텔라 프로듀싱에서 손 뗐다…소속사와 결별" (in Korean).
- "Eric announces an official position regarding casting in 'Trot Lover'". starnnews.com. Retrieved 14 January 2017.
- "[News] Mention of Eric in 'Golden Cross' article". tumblr.com. Retrieved 14 January 2017.
- "KPOP NEWS - Shinhwa's Eric Confirmed for 'Discovery of Romance' with Jung Yumi - Mwave". interest.me. Retrieved 14 January 2017.
- "Eric Mun, Jung Yu-mi together again". joins.com. Retrieved 14 January 2017.
- eric-confirmed-for-discovery-of-romance-reunites-with-jung-yu-mi-in-7-years Archived September 3, 2014, at the Wayback Machine
- "allkpop - Breaking K-pop news, videos, photos and celebrity gossip". allkpop.com. Archived from the original on 2016-03-03. Retrieved 14 January 2017.
- "2015 Rockie Awards". BANFF World Media Festival. Archived from the original on 23 April 2015. Retrieved 25 April 2015.
- "Netizens discuss their favorite male leads". koreaboo.com. 27 September 2015. Retrieved 14 January 2017.
- "» 2016 tvN10 Awards (Winners List) » Korean Drama". koreandrama.org. Retrieved 14 January 2017.
- Hong, C. (16 September 2016). "Lee Seo Jin And Shinhwa's Eric To Appear On "Three Meals A Day"". soompi.com. Retrieved 14 January 2017.
- "170202 CJ Cheil Jedang, Convenient Food 'Bibigo Yukgaejang' TV commercial with Shinhwa's Eric is on Air". ALL ABOUT ERIC MUN. Retrieved 2017-04-15.
- "170331 Netmarble 'Lineage2 Revolution' Reveal Web Drama Feat. Kim Sangjoong, Kim Myungmin, Shinhwa's Eric". ALL ABOUT ERIC MUN. Retrieved 2017-04-15.
- 리니지2 레볼루션 (2017-03-30), [리니지2 레볼루션] 브로맨스 TV CF 공개!, retrieved 2017-04-15
- "Netmarble 'Lineage2 Revolution' Reveal Web Drama Feat. Kim Sangjoong, Kim Myungmin, Shinhwa's Eric". Enews. 2017-07-31. Retrieved 26 March 2019.
- "Eric Mun's Agency Confirms That He Is Dating Actress Na Hye Mi". Soompi. 2017-02-23. Retrieved 24 March 2019.
- "Eric Mun Ties the Knot with Actress Na Hyemi". Chosun. 2017-07-03. Retrieved 24 March 2019.
- "K-Pop Boy Band Shinhwa Celebrates 20th Anniversary With Remake of 'All Your Dreams' Music Video". Billboard. 2018-03-27. Retrieved 26 March 2019.
- "Shinhwa To Kick Off Celebrations For 20th Debut Anniversary With Special Fan Party". Soompi. 2018-01-28. Retrieved 26 March 2019.
- "Shinhwa Celebrates 20th Anniversary With 'Kiss Me Like That' Video". Billboard. 2018-08-29. Retrieved 26 March 2019.
- "Legendary K-pop group Shinhwa is back with special album". The Korea Times. 2018-08-29. Retrieved 26 March 2019.
- "Shinhwa release their 'Heart' to the world". Gulf News. 2018-09-02. Retrieved 26 March 2019.
- "Shinhwa Brings Legendary 20th Anniversary Performance In Taipei". Hello Kpop. 2018-10-16. Retrieved 26 March 2019.
- "2018 Shinhwa 20th Anniversary Concert Heart Tour in Hong Kong". Asia World Expo. Retrieved 26 March 2019.
- "Eric Signs On With TOP Media And Becomes Labelmates With Fellow Shinhwa Member Andy". Soompi. 2019-01-01. Retrieved 26 March 2019.
- "Shinhwa's Eric Experiences The Difficulties Of Buying Tickets For His Own Fan Meeting". Soompi. 2019-01-27. Retrieved 26 March 2019.
- "Shinhwa's Eric To Hold A Solo Fan Meeting For The First Time In Eight Years And It's On His Birthday". Hello Kpop. 2019-01-24. Retrieved 26 March 2019.
- "Shinhwa's Eric To Head 3rd Season Of tvN Variety Show "4 Wheeled Restaurant"". Soompi. 2018-02-11. Retrieved 26 March 2019.
- "Shinhwa's Eric And Go Jun Hee In Talks For Fantasy Rom-Com Drama". Soompi. 2019-02-01. Retrieved 26 March 2019.
- "Shinhwa's Eric Mun and Actress Na Hyemi are said to be in 'Loving relationship'". Yonhap Korea. 2014-04-09. Retrieved 24 March 2019.
- "Eric Mun & Na Hye Mi Reveal Past Dating Rumors To Be True". Korea Portal.
- "Shinhwa's Eric ties knot with actress Na Hye-mi". The Korea Herald. July 2, 2017.
- "Eric Mun Ties the Knot with Actress Na Hyemi". Chosun. 2017-07-03. Retrieved 24 March 2019.
- Oh, Jean (5 July 2011). "Eric comes back with TV rom-com". Korea Herald. Retrieved 13 June 2013.
- Shinhwa Company official website (in Korean)
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article Eric Mun; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.