Erik De Vlaeminck
De Vlaeminck at the 1970 Amstel Gold Race
|Full name||Erik De Vlaeminck|
|Born||(1945-03-23)23 March 1945
|Died||4 December 2015(2015-12-04) (aged 70)
|World Cyclo-cross Champion
Erik De Vlaeminck (23 March 1945 − 4 December 2015) was a Belgian cyclist who became cyclo-cross world-champion seven times (in 1966, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973), a record equalled only by Marianne Vos.
De Vlaeminck missed 1967 only because his bike was damaged during the race. He also became Belgian champion four times (1967, 1969, 1971, 1972) at a time when there were so many good Belgian riders that the domestic championship was often harder than the world-championship.
De Vlaeminck never failed a drugs test in his racing career but was treated after it for amphetamine addiction. Many stories circulate about his supposed wild behaviour after races and after his career was over. When he returned to racing, the Belgian federation would offer him a licence for only a day at a time until it saw how his life would progress. De Vlaeminck subsequently refused to speak about this period of his life.
His re-establishment was complete, however, because he became the national cyclo-cross coach and led Belgium to a dominating period of international success. He always complained, however, that while cyclo-cross brought Belgium its world championship medals, it was to road racing that the bulk of the funds were given.
De Vlaeminck was the brother of Roger De Vlaeminck. His son Geert died of a heart attack in a cyclo-cross race while his father was watching.
- World champion in cyclo-cross: 1966, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973 (3rd: 1977)
- Belgian National Cyclo-cross Champion: 1967, 1969, 1971, 1972 (2nd: 1975, 1977)
- Cyclo-cross Champion of Hainaut: 1975
- Cyclo-cross of Waasmunster: 1970 (provincial championship)
- Flemish champion cyclo racing: 1969
- Tour of Belgium: 1969
- Paris-Luxembourg: 1970
- Tour of East Flanders: 1969, 1970
- Circuit of the Flemish Ardennes: 1969 (3rd: 1977)
- Winner, Stage 2 of the 1968 Tour de France
- 2nd in the La Flèche Wallonne: 1969 (3rd: 1970)
- Erik De Vlaeminck at Cycling Archives
- Official Tour de France results for Eric De Vlaeminck