The image is from Wikipedia Commons
Fairmile D motor torpedo boat
The Fairmile D motor torpedo boat MGB 606
|Name:||Fairmile D motor gun boat|
|Preceded by:||Fairmile C motor gun boat|
|Length:||115 ft (35 m)|
|Beam:||20 ft 10 in (6.35 m)|
|Draught:||4 ft 9 in (1.45 m) to 4 ft 11 in (1.50 m) mean deep load|
|Propulsion:||4 × Packard 4M 2500 petrol engines, total 5,000 hp (3,728 kW)|
|Speed:||29 knots (54 km/h; 33 mph) at full load|
|Notes:||Specifications from Conway's All the World's Fighting Ships 1922–1946. and Motor Gunboat 658|
The Fairmile D motor torpedo boat was a type of British motor torpedo boat (MTB) designed by Bill Holt and conceived by Fairmile Marine for the Royal Navy. Nicknamed "Dog Boats", they were designed to combat the known advantages of the German E-boats over previous British coastal craft designs. They were bigger than earlier MTB or motor gunboat (MGB) designs (which were typically around 70 feet) but slower, at 30 knots compared to 40 knots.
Unlike the Fairmile B designs, the Dog Boats were only produced in component form in Britain. Some were built for the RAF's Marine Branch for use in the long range air-sea rescue for downed airmen. 229 boats were built between 1942 and 1945.
Many versions were produced or converted from existing boats; MGB, MTB, MA/SB, LRRC and post-war FPB.
Since the Fairmile D could be fitted out with a mix of armament that gave it the capabilities of both a motor gunboat and a motor torpedo boat, the MGB designation was dropped.
- Fairmile A motor launch
- Fairmile B motor launch
- Fairmile C motor gun boat
- Fairmile H landing craft
- Steam gun boat
- Coastal Forces of the Royal Navy
- Lambert, John. Fairmile D Motor Torpedo Boat. (Anatomy of the Ship series) 1985 ISBN 978-1-84486-006-7
- Lambert, John and Ross, Al. Allied Coastal Forces of World War Two, Volume I : Fairmile designs and US Submarine Chasers. 1990. ISBN 978-0-85177-519-7
- Konstam, Angus. British Motor Torpedo Boat 1939–45. 2003. ISBN 978-1-84176-500-6
- Chesneau, Roger (editor).Conway's All the World's Fighting Ships 1922–1946. London, UK: Comway Maritime Press, 1980. ISBN 0-85177-146-7
- Reynolds, Leonard C. Dog Boats at War: Royal Navy D Class MTBs and MGBs, 1939–1945. 2000. ISBN 978-0-7509-1443-7
- Reynolds, Leonard C. Motor Gunboat 658: The Small Boat War in the Mediterranean 1955/2002. ISBN 0-304-36183-6
- Coastal Forces And Communications with France Before D Day 1944
- The Encyclopedia of Weapons of World War II - by Chris Bishop at google books
- Watercolour painting of a Fairmile D Type Motor Torpedo Boat at speed
- Book Review of Dog Boats at War: Royal Navy D Class MTBs and MGBs, 1939-1945
- List of Motor Torpedo Boats at unithistories.com
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article Fairmile D motor torpedo boat; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.