The image is from Wikipedia Commons
|Chief of Army Staff|
27 May 2021
|Preceded by||Ibrahim Attahiru|
|Born|| (1966-01-05) 5 January 1966
Sifawa Bodinga, Sokoto State
|Alma mater||Nigerian Defence Academy
Faruk Yahaya (born January 5, 1966) is a Lieutenant general of the Nigerian Army and the 22nd Chief of Army Staff of Nigeria, appointed by President Muhammadu Buhari on 27 May 2021 after the death of the former Chief of Army Staff, Ibrahim Attahiru who died in the Beechcraft King Air 350i plane crash near Kaduna International Airport.
Faruk Yahaya was born on 5 January 1966 in Sifawa, Bodinga Local Government Area of Sokoto State. He is a graduate of the Nigerian Defence Academy, Armed Forces Command and Staff College, and Nigerian Army School of Infantry. He commenced officer cadet training on 27 September 1985 and was commissioned into the Nigerian Army Corp of Infantry as a Second Lieutenant on 27 December 1990.  He holds a master's degree in International Affairs and Diplomacy.
Lt Gen Faruk Yahaya has attended all the relevant courses commensurate to his career which include, Young Officers Course, Infantry, Company Commanders Course, Infantry and Commanding Officers Course. He also attended Junior Staff Course, Senior Staff Course and National Defence College amongst other, as well as several workshops and Seminars.
He has also held several appointments including Command, Staff and Instructional. Notable amongst them are Guards Brigade Garrison Commander, Directing Staff at the Armed Forces Command and Staff College (AFCSC), Deputy Director Army Headquarters Department of Military Secretary, Deputy Director Army Research and Development and Chief of Staff, Headquarters Joint Task Force Operation PULO SHIELD.
The Chief of Army Staff (COAS) has served as the Principal General Staff Officer (PGSO) to Honourable Minister of Defence, Commander, 4 Brigade and 29 Task Force Brigade (Operation ZAMAN LAFIYA). He was also Director Manpower at the Army Headquarter, Military Secretary Army Headquarters and General Officer Commanding (GOC) 1 Division of the Nigerian Army
Until his appointment as the COAS, Lt Gen Faruk Yahaya was the Theatre Commander Operation HADIN KAI, responsible for Counter Terrorism and Counter Insurgency operations in North East Nigeria.
Awards and Honours
Faruk Yahaya holds several honours and awards, some of which include, Nigerian Army Medal, Grand Service Star, Passed staff course Dagger, National Defence College (Chile), Field Command Medal of Honour, General Staff Medal of Honour and several other numerous medals, honours and awards. He is happily married and blessed with children.
Yahaya is married and has four children.
- "Buhari don apoint new Chief of Army Staff". BBC News Pidgin. Retrieved 27 May 2021.
- "Buhari names Major-General Faruk Yahaya as new army chief". The Guardian Nigeria News - Nigeria and World News. 27 May 2021. Retrieved 27 May 2021.
- Kingsley Omonobi. "Buhari appoints Major General Faruk Yahaya as Chief of Army Staff". www.vanguardngr.com. Vanguard Newspaper Nigeria. Retrieved 27 May 2021.
- Editor (21 May 2021). "Nigeria's army chief Ibrahim Attahiru dies in air crash". The Guardian Nigeria News - Nigeria and World News. The Guardian Nigeria. Retrieved 27 May 2021.CS1 maint: extra text: authors list (link)
- Ibrahim Ramalan (27 May 2021). "PROFILE: Meet the new Chief of Army Staff, Faruk Yahaya". Daily Nigerian. Retrieved 8 June 2021.
- "PROFILE OF THE NEW CHIEF OF ARMY STAFF MAJOR GENERAL FARUK YAHAYA". Nigeria Army. 27 May 2021. Retrieved 8 June 2021.
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article Faruk Yahaya; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.