The image is from Wikipedia Commons
Florida State League
|No. of teams||10|
|Fort Myers Miracle (2018)|
|Most titles||Orlando Twins (7)|
|Official website||Official Website|
The Florida State League (FSL) is a Minor League Baseball league based in the state of Florida. It is one of three leagues classified as Class A, the fourth highest classification of minor leagues. Each team in the league is affiliated with a Major League Baseball (MLB) team, and most play in their affiliate's spring training facility.
The league was founded in 1919 and has continued almost uninterrupted to the present day. Initially, the FSL was classified as a Class D circuit. It was elevated to Class C from 1921 to 1924 before reverting to Class D from 1925 to 1928. The league went dormant from 1929 to 1935, but it was revived as a Class D circuit from 1936 to 1941. After another period of inactivity from 1942 to 1945, it continued at Class D from 1946 to 1962. When the minor leagues were reconfigured in 1963, the FSL was reclassified as a Class A league. There it continued until the next reorganization in 1990 when it was elevated to Class A Advanced. With MLB's reconfiguration of the minor leagues in 2021, the league was made a Low Single-A circuit.
The league originated in 1919 with teams in Bartow, Bradenton, Lakeland, Orlando, Sanford, and Tampa, Florida. The league closed down in 1928 and resumed play in 1936. It has continued uninterrupted, except for a four-year (1942-1945) suspension during World War II.
The championship series' first cancellation was in 2001, when playoffs were canceled after the September 11 attacks. Afterwards, the 2004 playoffs were canceled due to the threat of Hurricane Ivan. Years later, the 2017 FSL Championship finals were canceled on September 5, due to the threat of Hurricane Irma. The winners of the division series playoff games were named co-champions. This marked the third time since 2000 that the championship series game was canceled. In 2019, the end of the season and playoffs were cancelled due to the threat of Hurricane Dorian.
|North||Clearwater Threshers||Philadelphia Phillies||Clearwater||Spectrum Field||8,500|
|Daytona Tortugas||Cincinnati Reds||Daytona Beach||Radiology Associates Field at Jackie Robinson Ballpark||4,200|
|Dunedin Blue Jays||Toronto Blue Jays||Dunedin||TD Ballpark||8,500|
|Lakeland Flying Tigers||Detroit Tigers||Lakeland||Publix Field at Joker Marchant Stadium||8,500|
|Tampa Tarpons||New York Yankees||Tampa||George M. Steinbrenner Field||11,026|
|South||Bradenton Marauders||Pittsburgh Pirates||Bradenton||LECOM Park||8,500|
|Fort Myers Mighty Mussels||Minnesota Twins||Fort Myers||Hammond Stadium||9,300|
|Jupiter Hammerheads||Miami Marlins||Jupiter||Roger Dean Stadium||6,871|
|Palm Beach Cardinals||St. Louis Cardinals||Jupiter||Roger Dean Stadium||6,871|
|St. Lucie Mets||New York Mets||Port St. Lucie||Clover Park||7,160|
Teams of the early FSL (1919–1928)
Teams of the modern FSL (1936–present)
Current team Former team
- Florida State League Player of the Year Award
- Florida State League Pitcher of the Year Award
- Florida State League Manager of the Year Award
Florida State League Hall of Fame
The Florida State League Hall of Fame began in 2009.
- "About the Florida State League". Florida State League. Minor League Baseball. Retrieved January 21, 2021.
- "Florida State League (Adv A) Encyclopedia and History". Baseball-Reference. Sports Reference. Retrieved November 11, 2020.
- Reichard, Kevin. "Affiliate Dance 2020". Ballpark Digest. Retrieved November 10, 2020.
- "Championship Series Cancelled". MiLB.com. September 5, 2017. Retrieved September 5, 2017.
- Norris, Josh (September 5, 2017). "Florida State League cancels its Championship Series". Baseball America. Retrieved September 6, 2017.
- Kirkland, Gary (March 19, 2005). "Are the minor leagues returning to Gainesville?". gainesville.com. Retrieved September 6, 2017.
- Kolakowski, Ryan (August 29, 2019). "Hurricane Dorian prompts Florida State League to cancel rest of season". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved August 30, 2019.
- "A Message From Pat O'Conner". Minor League Baseball. March 13, 2020. Retrieved May 5, 2020.
- "2020 Minor League Baseball Season Shelved". Minor League Baseball. June 30, 2020. Retrieved July 1, 2020.
- "FSL Hall of Fame - Florida State League About". Florida State League.
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article Florida State League; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.