The image is from Wikipedia Commons
Type of site
|Created by||Scott Bedard|
|Alexa rank||38,170 (July 2018[update])|
|Launched||March 10, 1999 (1999-03-10)|
GameRankings collects and links to (but does not host) reviews from other websites and magazines and averages specific ones. While hundreds of reviews may get listed, only the ones that GameRankings deems notable are used for the average. Scores are culled from numerous American and European sources. The site uses a percentage grade for all reviews in order to be able to calculate an average. However, because not all sites use the same scoring system (some rate out of 5 or 10, while others use a letter grade), GameRankings changes all other types of scores into percentages using a relatively straightforward conversion process.
When a game has accumulated 6 total reviews, it is given a ranking compared to all other games in the database and a ranking compared to games on its console.
Site Inclusion Rules
There are specific rules that GameRankings follows to determine which review sites are used in calculating a game's overall score. From the GameRankings Help page, they are:
- Sites must have at least 300 archived reviews for a multi-system/multi-genre sites, or 100 reviews for single-system or genre sites.
- Sites must publish a minimum of 15 reviews a month.
- Sites must be visually appealing and look professional.
- Sites must review a variety of titles.
- Sites must have a dedicated domain name with professional hosting.
- Site reviews must be well written.
- Sites must conduct themselves in a professional manner.
However, some sites that follow these rules are not included, such as sites in non-English languages.
- "Alexa Ranking". Alexa Internet. Archived from the original on 5 July 2018. Retrieved 5 July 2018.
- "GameRankings.com WHOIS, DNS, & Domain Info - DomainTools". WHOIS. Retrieved 2016-09-08.
- "GameRankings Help". gamerankings.com. Archived from the original on 22 October 2017. Retrieved 28 April 2018.
- "GameRankings". PC Magazine. March 25, 2003. Archived from the original on May 12, 2008.
- "Reviews and News Articles - GameRankings". www.gamerankings.com. Archived from the original on 21 March 2018. Retrieved 28 April 2018.
- "High Scores Matter To Game Makers, Too", The Wall Street Journal, September 20, 2007.
- "Video games: Aiming to please?", StarTribune, June 7, 2008.
- "Things that suck about video game reviews", That Videogame Blog, April 2, 2008.
- "Do Review Scores Really Matter?", Dpad Magazine, June 11, 2010.
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article GameRankings; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.