The image is from Wikipedia Commons
Gong in May 2016
(1979-07-10) July 10, 1979
|Education||Kyung Hee University
|Revised Romanization||Gong Yu|
|Revised Romanization||Gong Ji-cheol|
Gong Ji-cheol (Korean: 공지철; born July 10, 1979), better known by his stage name Gong Yoo (Korean: 공유), is a South Korean actor. He is best known for his roles in television dramas Coffee Prince (2007) and Guardian: The Lonely and Great God (2016–2017), and the films Silenced (2011), Train to Busan (2016) and The Age of Shadows (2016).
Gong Yoo graduated from Kyung Hee University with a B.A. theater degree. In 2000, he started his show business career as a video jockey on Mnet and debuted as an actor in the TV series School 4 in 2001. Thereafter, Gong did a number of supporting roles in dramas and movies and also hosted the music program Music Camp in 2004.
2005–2007: Coffee Prince and breakthrough
Gong Yoo was then cast in MBC's romantic comedy Coffee Prince, which became his breakout role. The popularity of the drama not only solidified his status as a leading man, but also made him a hallyu star.
2008–2015: Military enlistment and comeback
On January 14, 2008, Gong Yoo enlisted for the mandatory service, which ended on December 8, 2009. He did 8 months of frontline active service in Cheorwon and was transferred to the Defense Media Agency, where he served in the public relations department and hosted as a DJ for the army radio station. He was discharged in December 2009.
He then initiated and pursued the production of a theatrical adaptation of Gong Ji-young's novel The Crucible, a congratulatory gift from his senior for his promotion during enlistment. This movie was internationally released under the title Silenced. Upon its release on September 22, 2011, the film sparked public outrage. This led to a reopening of the investigations into the incidents on which the novel and film are based. Public demand for legislative reform reached the National Assembly, where a revised bill to target sex crimes against minors and the disabled, dubbed the Dogani Bill after the Korean title of the film, was successfully passed in late October 2011.
Gong Yoo then starred opposite Lee Min-jung in the romantic-comedy series Big written by the Hong sisters. Although the drama was initially well-received, it was later heavily criticized for its ending.
In 2013, he returned to the big screen after a two-year gap in the movie The Suspect. He played an elite North Korean spy who defects after being betrayed by his country. In November 2013, Gong Yoo was appointed as a special representative of the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) in Korea, in conjunction with a celebration of the 24th year since the Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC) was adopted. Following his appointment, he has visited countries around the world to raise awareness of the situation of children in underdeveloped countries.
On July 7, 2014, Gong Yoo was named as an ambassador for the National Tax Service (NTS), alongside actress Ha Ji-won. The pair modeled for promotional posters and took part in street campaigns that encourage honest tax payment in support of the NTS.
2016–present: Career resurgence
Gong Yoo experienced a new high in his career with consecutive hit works in 2016. His first film in 2016 was the melodrama A Man and a Woman alongside critically acclaimed actress Jeon Do-yeon. He then starred in the hugely successful zombie blockbuster Train to Busan, which surpassed 11 million admissions in South Korea. He then starred in another box office hit The Age of Shadows, which surpassed 6 million admissions in two weeks.
In December 2016, Gong Yoo returned to television in Kim Eun-sook's fantasy-romance drama Guardian: The Lonely and Great God, playing the titular goblin. The drama was a massive hit and Gong won Best Actor at the Baeksang Awards for his performance.
In October 2018, Gong was cast in two films. In Lee Yong-ju's action thriller film Seo Bok, Gong will play a former intelligence agent who is caught up in the chase of catching the first human clone to uncover the secret to eternal life. In the feminist film Kim Ji Young, Born in ’82, Gong will play the role of Kim Ji-young's husband.
|2003||My Tutor Friend||Lee Jong-soo|||
|2004||Spy Girl||Choi Ko-bong|||
|Superstar Mr. Gam||Park Chul-soo|||
|2005||She's on Duty||Kang No-young|||
|2007||Like a Dragon||Park Chul||Film adaptation of video game Ryu Ga Gotoku|
|2010||Finding Mr. Destiny||Han Gi-joon||Film adaptation of stage musical Finding Kim Jong-wook|
|2011||Silenced||Kang In-ho||Film adaptation of Gong Ji-young's novel The Crucible|
|2013||The Suspect||Ji Dong-chul|
|2016||A Man and a Woman||Ki-hong|
|Train to Busan||Seok-woo|
|The Age of Shadows||Kim Woo-jin|
|Kim Ji Young, Born in ’82||Jung Dae-hyun|
|2001||School 4||Hwang Tae-young||KBS2||Ep. 29 to 48|
|2002||Whenever the Heart Beats||Park Chan-ho|
|Hard Love||Seo Kyung-chul|
|2003||20 Years||Seo Joon||SBS|||
|Best Theater: Flying Saucer||Ki Jin||MBC||Ep. 533|
|My Room, Your Room||Kim Sung-joon||SayClub Internet Drama|
|2005||Hello My Teacher||Park Tae-in||SBS|
|2006||One Fine Day||Seo Gun||MBC|
|2007||Coffee Prince||Choi Han-kyul|
|2012||Big||Seo Yoon-jae/Kang Kyung-joon||KBS2|
|2013||Dating Agency: Cyrano||Magician||tvN||Cameo, ep. 9|
|2016–2017||Guardian: The Lonely and Great God||Goblin / Kim Shin|
Music video appearances
|2008–2009||장병가요 베스트 (Best Music)||episodes 155~186||KFN|||
|공유가 기다리는 20시||DJ||371 episodes|||
Awards and nominations
|2002||16th KBS Drama Awards||Best New Actor||Hard Love||Nominated|
|2003||11th SBS Drama Awards||New Star Award||Screen||Won|||
|2005||13th SBS Drama Awards||Excellence Award, Actor in a Miniseries||Hello My Teacher||Nominated|
|2006||25th MBC Drama Awards||Special Award, Actor in a Miniseries||One Fine Day||Won|||
|2007||1st Mnet 20's Choice Awards||Best Style||N/A||Won|||
|26th MBC Drama Awards||Excellence Award, Actor||Coffee Prince||Won|||
|Popularity Award, Actor||Nominated|
|Best Couple Award (with Yoon Eun-hye)||Nominated|
|2011||32nd Blue Dragon Film Awards||Best Actor||Silenced||Nominated|
|Popular Star Award||Won|||
|2012||48th Baeksang Arts Awards||Best Actor (Film)||Nominated|
|26th KBS Drama Awards||Excellence Award, Actor in a Miniseries||Big||Nominated|
|Best Couple Award (with Lee Min-jung)||Nominated|
|2013||8th Seoul International Drama Awards||Outstanding Korean Actor||Nominated|
|2014||19th Chunsa Film Art Awards||Best Actor||The Suspect||Nominated|
|48th Taxpayers' Day||Presidential Commendation||N/A||Won|||
|22nd Korea Culture and Entertainment Awards||Top Excellence Award, Actor in a Film||The Suspect||Won|||
|2016||Korea Film Actors Association Awards||Grand Prize||A Man and a Woman||Won|||
|2nd Fashionista Awards||Best Fashionista – Red Carpet Category||N/A||Nominated|||
|Best Dresser – Male||Nominated|
|BloodGuts UK Horror Awards||Best Actor in an International Film||Train to Busan||Nominated|
|2017||14th Seoul Creative Festival of Film Advertising||Model of the Year||N/A||Won|||
|11th Asian Film Awards||Best Actor||Train to Busan||Nominated|
|iHorror Awards||Best Actor – Horror Film||Nominated|
|53rd Baeksang Arts Awards||Best Actor (TV)||Guardian: The Lonely and Great God||Won|||
|Grand Prize (TV)||Nominated|
|Brand of the Year Awards||Actor of the Year||Won|||
|2017 Fangoria Chainsaw Awards||Best Actor||Train to Busan||Nominated|
|22nd Chunsa Film Art Awards||Best Actor||Nominated|
|Korea Advertisers Association Awards||Best Model Award||N/A||Won|||
|3rd Fashionista Awards||Best Fashionista – TV & Film Division||Guardian: The Lonely and Great God||Nominated|||
- "김희선·성유리·옥주현·공유·J-Walk·이선진…학사모 쓴 스타들". Kyunghyang Shinmun (in Korean). 2005. Retrieved 2016-12-04.
- ""카메라 선물로 달력 만드는 이 남자, '공유'할 수 없나요?"". Oh My News (in Korean). 2012-07-01. Retrieved 2016-12-04.
- "SBS 새 수목드라마 '건빵선생과 별사탕'". Cine21 (in Korean). 12 April 2005. Retrieved 2016-12-04.
- "MBC's New Mini-series "One Fine Day"". MBC Global Media. 14 February 2008.
- "'공유' 인생드라마 '커피프린스 1호점', 연속 방송". Insight (in Korean). 28 July 2016. Retrieved 2016-12-04.
- "'만인의 연인'으로 사랑받는~ 공유". The DongA Ilbo (in Korean). 20 September 2007. Retrieved 2016-12-04.
- "Gong Yoo to Leave For the Military Next Year". The Korea Times. 19 December 2007. Retrieved 2016-12-04.
- "Actor Gong Yoo Finishes 2-Year Military Service". The Korea Times. 8 December 2009.
- "'현역 제대' 공유 '홀가분하고 기분좋다'". Asiae (in Korean). Retrieved 2017-01-11.
- "Gong Yoo and Lim Soo-jung to star in new film "First Love"". Asiae. 8 April 2010.
- "Theatrical Releases in 2010: Box-Office Admission Results". Koreanfilm.org. Retrieved 2012-06-04.
- "INTERVIEW Actor Gong Yoo – Part 1". 10Asia. 27 September 2011.
- "INTERVIEW Actor Gong Yoo – Part 2". 10Asia. 27 September 2011.
- "Outrage grows after movie relates rape of disabled innocents". Korea JoongAng Daily. 29 September 2011.
- "National Assembly passes 'Dogani Law'". The Korea Times. 28 October 2011. Retrieved 2016-12-05.
- "Actors hope to score 'Big' in new show". Korea JoongAng Daily. 16 April 2012.
- Jeon, Su-mi (25 July 2012). "Big Concludes with Open Endings, Unsatisfied Fans, and Highest Rating". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2012-11-14.
- "Gong Yoo a 'Suspect' in his first action role". Korea JoongAng Daily. 13 December 2013. Retrieved 2014-04-10.
- "Gong Yoo shows off his serious side". Korea JoongAng Daily. 11 February 2014.
- "Gong Yoo named UNICEF special representative". The Korea Herald. 8 July 2013.
- "Ha Ji-won, Gong Yoo Named Tax Service Ambassadors". The Chosun Ilbo. 8 July 2014. Retrieved 2016-12-04.
- "(Newsmaker) Actor Gong Yoo soars in 2016". Yonhap News Agency. 19 December 2016.
- "JEON Do-yeon and GONG Yoo Pair Up for LEE Yoon-ki". Korean Film Biz Zone. 12 August 2014.
- "Rom-com king takes on serious role". Korea JoongAng Daily. 25 January 2016.
- "Movie star Gong Yoo opens up about his own fears". The Korea Herald. 20 July 2016.
- "Zombie Movie 'Train to Busan' Passes 11 Million-Viewer Mark". The Chosun Ilbo. 19 August 2016. Retrieved 2016-12-04.
- "KIM Jee-woon Wraps Period Action-Thriller SECRET AGENT". Korean Film Biz Zone. 20 April 2016.
- "'The Age of Shadows' still No. 1 at box office". The Korea Herald. 19 September 2016. Retrieved 2016-12-04.
- "Gong Yoo to star in Kim Eun-sook fantasy drama". The Korea Times. 21 April 2016. Retrieved 2016-12-04.
- "Fantasy drama "Guardian" enjoys unprecedented popularity". The Korea Times. 20 December 2016. Retrieved 2017-01-22.
- "'Guardian,' 'The Handmaiden' win big at Baeksang Awards". The Korea Herald. 4 May 2017.
- "GONG Yoo to Return in Sci-fi Action Drama SEO BOK". Korean Film Biz Zone. 22 October 2018.
- "Gong Yoo returns as 'ex-spy agency member'". The Korea Herald. 11 October 2018.
- "Gong Yoo to star opposite Jung Yu-mi in much-anticipated feminist film". Kpop Herald. 17 October 2018.
- "<동갑내기 과외하기>의 배우 공유". Cine21 (in Korean). 12 February 2003.
- "공유, <그녀를 모르면 간첩>에 캐스팅". Cine21 (in Korean). 1 October 2003.
- "내가 불사조 박철순이요, <슈퍼스타 감사용>의 공유". Cine21 (in Korean). 11 February 2004.
- "[인터뷰] < S 다이어리 > 공유 – 사랑을 몰랐던 '유인'을 변명하다". Max Movie (in Korean). 19 October 2004.
- Choi, Dong-gyu (17 March 2005). 자신의 위치에서 최선을 다하는 멋진 남자. 공유. Movist (in Korean). Retrieved 2013-08-30.
- "[영화 리뷰]내키는대로 만든 작품 '용이 간다'". Khan (in Korean). 11 October 2007.
- "[굿모닝 인터뷰] 청춘드라마 '스무살' 공 유". JoongAng Ilbo (in Korean). 7 March 2003.
- "스타 탐구/SBS "스무살" 주연 공유". Hankook Ilbo (in Korean). 10 March 2003.
- "인터넷 드라마 '내방네방' 서비스..세이클럽, 총3편 옴니버스 형식". Hankyung (in Korean). 2 October 2003.
- "Gong Yoo, Jung Yu-mi to Play cameos in "Dating Agency: Cyrano"". 10Asia. 20 June 2013.
- "'그게 나야' M/V에 '공유' 출연… "절제된 연기 돋보여"". JoongAng Ilbo (in Korean). 1 October 2004.
- "2004년 1월 10일 (토) / 제 211 회". iMBC (in Korean). Retrieved 2016-12-04.
- "연예 사병 공유, 국방홍보원 캘린더 모델". Nocut News (in Korean). 5 January 2009. Retrieved 2016-12-04.
- "Gong Yoo adds 'singer' to resume". Korea JoongAng Daily. 23 July 2012.
- "2003 SBS 연기대상에 이병헌". Hankyung (in Korean). 1 January 2004. Retrieved 2016-12-04.
- "[MBC 연기대상] 공유, 우수상 수상 "군대 잘 다녀오겠습니다"". The Chosun Ilbo (in Korean). 31 December 2007.
- "'거침없이 하이킥', 'Mnet 20's Choice' 6관 왕 차지". The Chosun Ilbo (in Korean). 22 August 2007. Retrieved 2016-12-04.
- "'공유 군입대 전 공식 막방' 공유 이준기 MBC연기대상 男우수상 공동수상". JoongAng Daily (in Korean). 31 December 2007. Retrieved 2016-12-04.
- "'The Unjust' Wins Top Honors at Blue Dragon Film Awards". enewsWorld. 26 November 2011.
- "Two Actors Commended for Serving as Exemplary Taxpayers". The Chosun Ilbo. 4 March 2014.
- "22회 주요 수상자". 역대수상자 (in Korean). Retrieved 20 July 2018.
- "2016 한국영화를 빛낸 스타상 시상식, 오늘(15일) 개최". Star MBN (in Korean). 15 July 2016.
- "2016 네이버X셀럽스픽 패셔니스타 어워즈, 열기 뜨겁다". Chosun (in Korean). 4 November 2016.
- "광고인들의 꿈 "서울영상 광고제"". Cogito (in Korean). 19 January 2017.
- "'2017 브랜드 대상' 공유·이상민·방탄소년단·나영석PD 선정". The Chosun Ilbo (in Korean). 4 August 2017.
- "[공식입장] '미우새', 2017 광고주가 뽑은 좋은 프로그램상 선정". The Chosun Ilbo (in Korean). 19 October 2017.
- ""올해는 누구?" 2017 패셔니스타 어워즈, 더욱 뜨겁게 돌아온다". Naver (in Korean). 13 October 2017.
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article Gong Yoo; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.