The image is from Wikipedia Commons
Great Lakes Hockey League (adult)
|No. of teams||9|
|Fox Cities Ice Dogs (2019)|
The Great Lakes Hockey League (GLHL) is a Semi Professional ice hockey league that is affiliated with USA Hockey. Players must be at least 18 years of age and most have previous college, Junior or minor-pro hockey experience. There are currently nine teams in the league divided into two divisions. The teams are all based in Wisconsin and the upper peninsula of Michigan.
The league was formed in 1937 as the Badger State Hockey League.
The 1998-99 Portage Lake Pioneers hold the record for best regular season at 25-1. They also went undefeated in the playoffs and national championships.
GLHL added a tenth team in the Marquette Iron Rangers, who began play during the 2015-16 season. The club played just one season, before they were replaced by the Marquette Mutineers in the fall of 2016.
The league is made up of nine teams that play a 20-game schedule running from October to March. Each GLHL game consists of three 20 minute periods. If the game is tied after regulation, there is a 5-minute overtime and if still tied a 4-round shootout.
Following the regular season is the playoff tournament. Teams are seeded in three pools based on regular season standings. Teams play one game against each team in their pool. The team with the best record in each pool advances to the semi-final. Of the remaining teams, the team with the greatest goal differential in pool play advances to the semi-finals as the wild card. In the event all teams in the same pool finish with a 1-1 record, the team with the greatest goal differential will advance to the semi-finals. The winners of the two semi-final games play for the championship. In the event a game is tied after overtime, additional overtime periods will be played until there is a winner.
Annual three-game series between long-time Michigan rivals Calumet Wolverines and the Portage Lake Pioneers. Named in honor of "Doc" Jack Gibson, the Gibson Cup was first awarded in 1939; it is the third oldest hockey trophy in the United States.
An annual four-team pre-season tournament hosted by the Fond du Lac Bears, the Keevin Cup honors Kevin Ristau, a long-time club board member and ambassador. The tournament takes place in late October.
|2010||Fond du Lac Bears||Vernon Hills Capitals||5-4 (OT)|
|2011||Vernon Hills Capitals||Fond du Lac Bears|
|2012||Fond du Lac Bears|
|2013||Fond du Lac Bears||Fox Cities Ice Dogs||7-6|
|2014||Fond du Lac Bears||Fox Cities Ice Dogs||7-2|
|2015||Fond du Lac Bears||Marquette Iron Rangers||13-5|
|2016||Fond du Lac Bears||Fox Cities Ice Dogs||10-7|
|2017||West Bend Bombers||Fond du Lac Bears|
|2018||West Bend Bombers||Fond du Lac Bears||2-1|
|2019||West Bend Bombers||Fond du Lac Bears||3-2|
|North Division||First Season|
|Eagle River Falcons||1930|
|Portage Lake Pioneers||1937|
|South Division||First Season|
|De Pere Deacons||1982|
|Fond du Lac Bears||1934|
|Fox Cities Ice Dogs||2002|
|West Bend Bombers||2008|
- Wausau Cyclones (?-1999)
- Milwaukee Flyers (?-2005)
- Kenosha Knights (2005-07)
- Waupun Wolves (2001-09)
- Oregon Stampede (2009-10)
- Green Bay Hornets (2010-11)
- Brookfield Battalion (2010-12)
- Oregon Outlaws (2010-12)
- Vernon Hills Capitals (2008-13)
- Madison Blues (2003-2014)
- Marquette Iron Rangers (2015-16)
- Monroe Blues (2014-18)
(regular season winner)
|Don Kohlman Cup
|2009-10||Fond du Lac Bears||Calumet Wolverines|
|2010-11||Vernon Hills Capitals||Mosinee Papermakers|
|2011-12||Vernon Hills Capitals||Fond du Lac Bears|
|2012-13||Portage Lake Pioneers||Eagle River Falcons|
|2013-14||West Bend Bombers||Fond du Lac Bears|
|2014-15||West Bend Bombers||Portage Lake Pioneers|
|2015-16||West Bend Bombers||Portage Lake Pioneers|
|2016-17||West Bend Bombers||Mosinee Papermakers|
|2017-18||Calumet Wolverines||West Bend Bombers|
|2018-19||Calumet Wolverines||Fox Cities Ice Dogs|
- "Marquette Approved for Expansion GLHL Franchise," MQT Social Scene, April 25, 2015.
- "Marquette has a new hockey team". WLUC. 6 September 2016.
- "Vice World of Sports turns back the clock with the hockey trophy you never hear about". SBNation. 1 June 2016.
- "Bears hockey players support their biggest fan". Fond du Lac Reporter. 23 October 2014.
- "Kevin 'Keevin' Ristau". issuu. 28 December 2014.
- "Pioneers earn second consecutive GLHL championship". Daily Mining Gazette. 5 April 2016.
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article Great Lakes Hockey League (adult); it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.