The image is from Wikipedia Commons
Hilda Teresia Borgström
(1871-10-13)13 October 1871
|Died||2 January 1953(1953-01-02) (aged 81)
Hilda Teresia Borgström (13 October 1871 – 2 January 1953) was a Swedish stage and film actress.
Born in 1871 in Stockholm, Borgström made her film debut in 1912. She starred in leading parts in Victor Sjöström's silent films Ingeborg Holm (aka Margaret Day) (1913) and Körkarlen (aka The Phantom Carriage/The Stroke of Midnight/Thy Soul Shall Bear Witness) in 1921. Borgström started out to be a dancer and trained at the old Royal Theatre's ballet school in Stockholm 1880-87. Later she decided to turn to the theatre instead and studied drama. Her professional debut on stage came in 1890 at one of Albert Ranft's theatres. She was an actress of Sweden's national stage, the Royal Dramatic Theatre (Dramaten), between 1900–1912 and 1920-1938.
She retired from the stage in 1938 because of stage fright and returned to film. She appeared in several supporting parts in Swedish films in the 1930s-1950s, for example in Ingmar Bergman's early 1948 film Music in Darkness, in the thriller Ett brott (A Crime) (1940) and in Kejsarn av Portugallien (The Emperor of Portugallia) (1944), based on the novel by Selma Lagerlöf, and in a pair of films by Hasse Ekman such as Kungliga patrasket (The Royal Rabble) (1945) and Flickan från tredje raden (The Girl from the Third Row) (1949). Borgström was also a teacher in the performing arts at the Royal Dramatic Theatre's acting school; Dramatens elevskola, in the 1930s-1940s. Altogether she made some 80 parts on film.
She is today perhaps primarily known as the narrator in the short film Tomten - en vintersaga (The Tomte - A Winter's Tale) (1941), where she reads the poem Tomten by Viktor Rydberg. The film is shown at Christmas Eve every year on Swedish television.
She died in Stockholm on 2 January 1953.
- A Ruined Life (1912)
- Lady Marion's Summer Flirtation (1913)
- Ingeborg Holm (Margaret Day) (1913)
- Judge Not (1914)
- The Phantom Carriage (1921)
- Flickan från Paradiset (The girl from paradise) (1924)
- A Woman's Face (1938)
- The Fight Continues (1941)
- Flames in the Dark (1941)
- Ride Tonight! (1942)
- Doctor Glas (1942)
- Livet måste levas (Life must be lived) (1943)
- En dag skall gry (One day dawning) (1944)
- Torment (1944)
- Prince Gustaf (1944)
- Appassionata (1944)
- Kungliga patrasket (The Royal Rabble) (1945)
- Sunshine Follows Rain (1946)
- Music in Darkness (1948)
- Each to His Own Way (1948)
- Each Heart Has Its Own Story (1948)
- Banketten (The Banquet) (1948)
- Eva (1948)
- The Girl from the Third Row (1949)
- The Nuthouse (1951) (archive footage)
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article Hilda Borgström; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.