The image is from Wikipedia Commons
Hilton Hotels & Resorts
|Founded||May 31, 1919 (1919-05-31) (as Hilton Hotels)|
|Founder||Conrad Nicholson Hilton|
Number of locations
|584 hotels (December 31, 2019)|
The original company was founded by Conrad Hilton. As of December 31, 2019, there were 584 Hilton Hotels & Resorts properties with 216,379 rooms in 94 countries and territories across six continents. This includes 61 properties that are owned or leased with 219,264 rooms, 272 that are managed with 119,612 rooms, and 251 that are franchised with 77,451 rooms. In 2020, Fortune magazine ranked Hilton Hotels & Resorts at number one on their Fortune List of the Top 100 Companies to Work For in 2020 based on an employee survey of satisfaction.
Hilton Hotels & Resorts is Hilton's flagship brand and one of the largest hotel brands in the world. The brand is targeted at both business and leisure travelers with locations in major city centers, near airports, convention centers, and popular vacation destinations around the world.
Hilton Hotels & Resorts participates in Hilton Honors, Hilton's guest loyalty program. Members who book directly through Hilton-owned channels receive exclusive discounts and amenities such as free Wi-Fi, digital check-in, keyless entry, and the ability to use a mobile app to choose specific rooms.
The hotel chain was founded by Conrad Hilton in 1919, when he bought his first property, the Mobley Hotel, in Cisco, Texas. The first hotel to bear the Hilton name was the Dallas Hilton, a high-rise that opened in Dallas, Texas in 1925.
With construction on the Beirut Hilton finished, the hotel was scheduled to open on April 14, 1975, but the Lebanese Civil War erupted exactly one day before the April 13 Grand Opening date. The hotel never opened and was severely damaged during the war, and the building was demolished in the late 1990s. However, a different hotel was established later, under the name "Hilton Beirut Grand Habtoor", in the nearby eastern suburb. Later on,[when?] the Hilton Chain bought the Metropolitan hotel directly facing the Grand Habtoor and renamed it "Hilton Metropolitan".
On February 13, 1978, the Sydney Hilton Hotel was the site of one of the few terrorist incidents on Australian soil, when a bomb blast killed three people (two council workers and a policeman).
The Hilton Nicosia in Nicosia, Cyprus, was the scene of the assassination of Youssef Sebai, an Egyptian newspaper editor and friend of Egyptian President Anwar El Sadat, on February 19, 1978. The assassination and the hijacking of a Cyprus Airways DC-8 at Larnaca Airport led to the Egyptian raid on Larnaca International Airport by Egyptian forces. The intervention by the Egyptians led to the deterioration of relations between Cyprus and Egypt.
In 1989, Hilton established the Hilton Honors program, Hilton's guest loyalty program.
In 2009, the company relocated its global headquarters from Beverly Hills, California to McLean, Virginia, opened its first hotel in New Delhi, India, and opened Canada's tallest hotel at 58 stories, in Niagara Falls, Ontario.
In late 2010, Hilton announced a name change of the Hilton Hotels brand to Hilton Hotels & Resorts along with a new logo design, as part of a rebranding effort for the flagship brand.
In 2015, approximately 20 Hilton Hotels & Resorts properties were inducted into the Historic Hotels of America organization. Among these hotels were Hilton Fort Worth, which hosted John F. Kennedy's final speech, and Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort, the setting of the film Blue Hawaii.
In 2016, Hilton N’Djamena opened in Chad. It was the brand's first property in the country and the 100th country Hilton began operations in worldwide. In June 2016, Hilton opened their first hotel in Estonia and in the Baltic states.
In 2017, Hilton announced that it would continue sponsoring McLaren until 2021. Hilton is one of the oldest sponsors of F1 series and has been sponsoring McLaren since 2005. In October 2017, Hilton announced it had committed a total of $50m (£37.8m) over five years to its Hilton Africa Growth Initiative to support the continued expansion of its Sub-Saharan African portfolio.
In 2020, it was reported, that Hilton has partnered with Sir Richard Branson's Virgin Hotels to open a resort and casino in Las Vegas using Hilton's Curio collection' to be opened later that year.
- "Inline XBRL Viewer". www.sec.gov. Retrieved August 19, 2020.
- Frances McMorris (May 6, 2016). "Westshore hotel gets $4.5 million facelift". Tampa Bay Business Journal. Retrieved May 12, 2016.
- Refreshed Hilton Hotels & Resorts Brand Identity Emphasizes Leisure Portfolio.
- "Company Overview of Hilton Worldwide Holdings Inc". investing.businessweek.com. Retrieved August 21, 2014.
- "Best Hilton Hotels & Resorts". U.S. News & World Report. February 1, 2017. Retrieved February 27, 2017.
- Jessica Snouwaert. "The 25 best companies to work for, based on employee satisfaction". Business Insider. Retrieved April 1, 2020.
- Jennifer Rooney (October 5, 2011). "Brand Power To The People: J&J Takes Lead In Forbes Ranking". Forbes. Retrieved May 12, 2016.
- "Best Hilton Hotels & Resorts". U.S. News & World Report. Retrieved May 13, 2016.
- Lyn Mettler (May 3, 2016). "When It Pays to Book Directly with a Hotel". U.S. News & World Report. Retrieved May 13, 2016.
- Karla Bowsher (April 19, 2016). "3 Major Hotels Offering Discounts for Direct Bookings". Money Talks News. Retrieved May 13, 2016.
- "main page". Conrad N. Hilton Foundation. Archived from the original on February 9, 2007.
- Carmack, Liz (2007). Historic Hotels of Texas: A Traveler's Guide. Texas A&M University Press. p. 156. ISBN 1585446084. Retrieved May 10, 2015.
dallas hilton 1925.
- "Beirut Hotels - Hilton Beirut Habtoor Grand, LB". Retrieved February 11, 2016.
- "History". Hilton HHonors.
- "Hilton Hotels & Resorts debuts new brand identity". Hospitality World Network. Retrieved March 31, 2011.
- Maierbrugger, Arno (April 2, 2013). "Hilton to open first hotel in Myanmar". Inside Investor. Retrieved April 2, 2013.
- Nancy Trejos (November 18, 2014). "Take a tour of Hilton's 20 Historic Hotels". USA Today. Retrieved May 13, 2016.
- Nancy Trejos (January 21, 2017). "Hilton marks a milestone; enters 100th country". USA Today. Retrieved February 27, 2017.
- "Täna avatakse Hiltoni hotell". Äripäev (in Estonian). Retrieved August 5, 2018.
- Sylt, Christian. "How Hilton Uses Formula One To Drive Bookings". Forbes. Retrieved April 3, 2018.
- "U CENTRU SRPSKE PRESTONICE OTVOREN HOTEL HILTON! Vučić: Isplati se ulagati u Beograd". Pink.rs | Najbrži portal u Srbiji (in Serbian). Retrieved March 1, 2018.
- "Hilton Belgrade". June 18, 2018 – via www.telegraph.co.uk.
- Reynolds, Christopher (January 28, 2020). "In Las Vegas 2020, new hotels, bigger convention center and a football stadium - Virgin Hotel". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved June 5, 2020.
Media related to Hilton Hotels & Resorts at Wikimedia Commons
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article Hilton Hotels & Resorts; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.