The image is from Wikipedia Commons
|Born||(1936-10-17) October 17, 1936|
|Alma mater||M. S. (Geophysics), Tokyo University, 1961
Ph.D. (Geophysics), Tokyo University, 1964
|Known for||Moment magnitude scale|
|Awards||Kyoto Prize (2007)|
|Institutions||Research Associate, Geophysics Institute, Tokyo University, 1962–65
Research Fellow, California Institute of Technology, 1965–66
Professor, Earthquake Research Institute, Tokyo University, 1966–72
Professor, California Institute of Technology, 1972-05
Hiroo Kanamori (金森 博雄, Kanamori Hiroo, born October 17, 1936) is a Japanese seismologist who has made fundamental contributions to understanding the physics of earthquakes and the tectonic processes that cause them.
Kanamori developed a new method of earthquake early warning detection by rapid analysis of the P-wave by a robust network. The algorithm is currently being tested with the Southern California Seismic Network "ShakeAlert" Earthquake Early Warning (EEW) system, and is one of three algorithms that is used by the system.
- 1993 Arthur L. Day Prize and Lectureship
- 1994 Asahi Prize
- 1996 Walter H. Bucher Medal
- 2004 Japan Academy Prize
- 2006 Person of Cultural Merit
- 2007 Kyoto Prize
- 2014 William Bowie Medal
- Kanamori, H. (1977). "The energy release in great earthquakes" (PDF). J. Geophys. Res. 82 (20): 2981–2987. Bibcode:1977JGR....82.2981K. doi:10.1029/JB082i020p02981.
- S. Uyeda; H. Kanamori (1979). "Back-arc opening and the mode of subduction" (PDF). Journal of Geophysical Research. 84 (B3): 1049–1061. Bibcode:1979JGR....84.1049U. doi:10.1029/JB084iB03p01049. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-06-14.
- Hanks, Thomas C.; Kanamori, Hiroo (May 1979). "Moment magnitude scale" (PDF). Journal of Geophysical Research. 84 (B5): 2348–2350. Bibcode:1979JGR....84.2348H. doi:10.1029/JB084iB05p02348.
- L. Ruff; H. Kanamori (1980). "Seismicity and the subduction process" (PDF). Phys. Earth Planet. Inter. 23 (3): 240–252. Bibcode:1980PEPI...23..240R. doi:10.1016/0031-9201(80)90117-X. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2010-07-23.
- Kikuchi, M.; Kanamori, H. (1982). "Inversion of complex body waves" (PDF). Bull. Seismol. Soc. Am. 72: 491–506. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2010-07-23.
- Vassiliou, Marius; Kanamori, Hiroo (1982). "The Energy Release in Earthquakes" (PDF). Bull. Seismol. Soc. Am. 72: 371–387. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2010-07-23.
- Kanamori, H.; Hauksson, E.; Heaton, T. (1997). "Real-time seismology and earthquake hazard mitigation" (PDF). Nature. 390 (6659): 461–464. Bibcode:1997Natur.390..461K. doi:10.1038/37280. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-06-14.
- Allen, R.M.; H. Kanamori (2001). "Rapid determination of event source parameters in southern California for earthquake early warning". AGU 2001 Fall Meeting. 2001: S11B–0556. Bibcode:2001AGUFM.S11B0556A.
- Allen RM, Kanamori H (2 May 2003). "The potential for earthquake early warning in southern California" (PDF). Science. 300 (5620): 786–9. Bibcode:2003Sci...300..786A. doi:10.1126/science.1080912. PMID 12730599. Archived from the original (PDF) on 4 June 2010.
- Zollo A, Amoroso O, Lancieri M, Wu Y, Kanamori H (24 July 2010). "A threshold-based earthquake early warning using dense accelerometer networks" (PDF). Geophysical Journal International. 183 (2): 963–974. Bibcode:2010GeoJI.183..963Z. doi:10.1111/j.1365-246X.2010.04765.x. Archived from the original (PDF) on 8 July 2011.
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article Hiroo Kanamori; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.