The image is from Wikipedia Commons
(1887-07-10)10 July 1887
Maşukiye, İzmit, Ottoman Empire
|Died||10 June 1930(1930-06-10) (aged 42)
Emir Sultan Cemetery, Istanbul
(m. 1905; div. 1909)
|House||Voçibe (by birth)
Ottoman (by marriage)
Inşirah Hanım was born on 10 July 1887 in Maşukiye, İzmit. Born as Seniye Voçibe, she was a member of Ubykh noble family, Voçibe. Her father was Aziz Bey Voçibe. She had a brother named Zeki Bey (1880s – 1930s).
She was taken into palace by one of her relatives. Here her name according to the custom of the Ottoman court was changed to Inşirah. She then became a lady-in-waiting to Şayeste Hanım, wife of Sultan Abdulmejid I.
One day, when Mehmed was in his forties, he visited his adoptive mother Şayeste Hanım at her palace. Here he saw Inşirah, then seventeen years old, and fell in love with her. He asked Şayeste to give him Inşirah in marriage. The marriage took place on 8 July 1905 in the Çengelköy Palace. She remained childless. After her marriage, her brother, Zeki Bey became aide-de-camp to Mehmed.
Inşirah was said to be a jealous lady. One day, she caught Mehmed in the bedroom with a servant girl named Periru. She immediately abandoned him,  After which he divorced her on 17 November 1909.
Later years and death
At the exile of the imperial family in March 1924, Inşirah settled in Cairo. Her brother, however, remained with Mehmed, even after her divorce, and followed him into exile. She committed suicide by tossing herself in the Nile on 10 June 1930. Her family brought her body back to Istanbul and buried her in the Emir Sultan cemetery.
- Uluçay, M. Çağatay (2011). Padişahların kadınları ve kızları. Ötüken. ISBN 978-9-754-37840-5.
- Sakaoğlu, Necdet (2008). Bu Mülkün Kadın Sultanları: Vâlide Sultanlar, Hâtunlar, Hasekiler, Kandınefendiler, Sultanefendiler. Oğlak Yayıncılık. ISBN 978-6-051-71079-2.
- Açba, Leyla (2004). Bir Çerkes prensesinin harem hatıraları. L & M. ISBN 978-9-756-49131-7.
- Bardakçı, Murat (2017). Neslishah: The Last Ottoman Princess. Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-9-774-16837-6.
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article Inşirah Hanım; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.