The image is from Wikipedia Commons
Jane's Information Group
|Parent company||Montagu Private Equity|
|Founder||Fred T. Jane|
|Country of origin||England|
|Headquarters location||Coulsdon, England|
|Publication types||Databases, information, books, periodicals|
|Nonfiction topics||Military, Defence, National Security, Aerospace, Transportation, Open-source intelligence|
Janes Information Group (often referred to as Janes) is an open-source intelligence company specializing in military, national security, aerospace and transport topics.
Janes was founded in 1898 by Fred T. Jane who had begun sketching ships as an enthusiast naval artist while living in Portsmouth. This gradually developed into an encyclopedic knowledge, culminating in the publishing of All the World's Fighting Ships (1898). The company then gradually branched out into other areas of military expertise. The books and trade magazines published by the company are often considered the de facto public source of information on warfare and transportation systems.
Based in London for most of its existence, Janes was acquired by Montagu in 2019  having been previously owned by IHS Markit, The Woodbridge Company and before that the Thomson Corporation for a number of years. Major periodical competitors include Defense News, Flight International, Aviation Week & Space Technology and the Shephard Group. The company continues to provide open-source intelligence in the defence, security, aerospace and transport sectors.
Of their publications, books (published annually) include Jane's All the World's Aircraft, Jane's Fighting Ships, Jane's Military Communications, Jane's World Air Forces, Jane's World Navies, and Jane's World Railways. Periodicals include Jane's Airport Review (discontinued), Jane's Defence Weekly, Jane's Intelligence Review, Jane's International Defence Review, Jane's Navy International, and Jane's Police Review (discontinued). Jane's All the World's Aircraft and Fighting Ships are included in the 2019 edition of the AP stylebook as references for proper notation of aircraft and military ship names.
- Brooks, Richard (1997). Fred T Jane: An Eccentric Visionary. Coulsdon, Surrey, England: Jane's Information Group. ISBN 0710617518.
- , Montagu.com. Retrieved 13 January 2020
- "Montagu picks up Jane's from IHS Markit | PitchBook". pitchbook.com. Retrieved 26 March 2020.
- Press release (12 June 2007). "IHS Acquires Jane's Information Group –Move Creates Global Powerhouse for Aerospace, Defense and Security Insight and Analysis", IHS.com. Retrieved 4 March 2011.
- Jane's yearbooks, 1990–91 & 2000–01 issues
- IHS Web site
- The Associated Press Stylebook 2019 and briefing on media law. Froke, Paula,, Bratton, Anna Jo,, Garcia, Oskar,, McMillan, Jeff,, Minthorn, David,, Schwartz, Jerry (54th ed.). New York. ISBN 978-0-917360-68-8. OCLC 1110729843.CS1 maint: others (link)
- janes.com, company's official website
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article Jane's Information Group; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.