The image is from Wikipedia Commons
|Born||(1947-11-04)November 4, 1947
|Died||September 14, 2003(2003-09-14) (aged 55)
|Parent(s)||Ed and Joan Fleck|
Fleck was born in 1947 in Chicago, Illinois to Ed and Joan Fleck. The family moved to Santa Barbara, California in 1955. During his school years, he became Student Government President and within the Boy Scouts of America, he became an Eagle Scout. He performed in school productions, and later joined the Santa Barbara Youth Theater. While at Santa Barbara City College, he won a scholarship to attend the American Academy of Dramatic Art in New York City.
Following graduation he appeared in several theatrical productions on the East Coast. He joined the production team of Sunn Classic Pictures, working on series such as The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams. While on that show, he worked with James L. Conway, who he would later work with on the pilot of Star Trek: Enterprise, "Broken Bow". Working as an assistant director, he worked on television series for other production companies such as Hardcastle and McCormick, The A-Team and Hunter as well as feature films including Tim Burton's Edward Scissorhands and Beetlejuice. He joined Star Trek: The Next Generation as first assistant director, marking the start of eleven and a half years with the franchise. He continued his work with the series Star Trek: Voyager and Enterprise as well as the Jonathan Frakes directed films Star Trek: First Contact and Star Trek: Insurrection.
Fleck died at his home on September 14, 2003. He was working on pre-production for the Enterprise episode "North Star". Once news broke, production was shut down on Enterprise on September 15 out of respect. The episode "Extinction", which aired 10 days after his death, was dedicated to his memory. Scott Bakula said "It was a terrible, sad day for everyone involved with Star Trek. Jerry was, in many ways, the heart and soul of the entire team, and he will be always remembered, and greatly missed."
- "Obituary: Gerald R. Fleck". Los Angeles Times. September 18, 2003. Archived from the original on February 19, 2012. Retrieved June 15, 2013.
- "Catching Up With Director James L. Conway, Part 2". Star Trek.com. February 17, 2012. Retrieved June 15, 2013.
- "Production Report: McNeill in the Zone for "Twilight"". Star Trek.com. September 24, 2003. Archived from the original on October 9, 2003. Retrieved June 15, 2013.
- "Production Halted to Mourn 1st A.D. Jerry Fleck (UPDATE)". Star Trek.com. September 15, 2003. Archived from the original on December 6, 2003. Retrieved June 15, 2013.
- "Transcript: Scott Bakula ("Capt. Jonathan Archer" - ENT)". StarTrek.com. 2003-10-01. Archived from the original on 2003-10-04.
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article Jerry Fleck; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.