The image is from Wikipedia Commons
Jesús López Cobos
Early life and career
López Cobos was born in Toro, Zamora, Spain. He studied at Complutense University of Madrid and graduated with a degree in philosophy. Later he studied conducting with Franco Ferrara and with Hans Swarowsky at the University of Music and Performing Arts Vienna.
From 1981 to 1990 he was general music director of the Deutsche Oper Berlin and from 1984 to 1988 he was music director of the Orquesta Nacional de España. From 1986 to 2001 he served as music director of the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra, and from 1990 to 2000 he was principal conductor of the Orchestre de Chambre de Lausanne. From 2003 to 2010 he served as music director of the Teatro Real in Madrid. He was a National Patron of Delta Omicron, an international professional music fraternity.
López Cobos died in Berlin, Germany, on 2 March 2018, age 78 of cancer-related causes.
- 1981 Prince of Asturias Award for the Arts.
- "Muere el director de orquesta Jesús López Cobos" by Darío Prieto, El Mundo (in Spanish)
- Mantilla, Jesús Ruiz (3 March 2018). "Muere el director de orquesta Jesús López Cobos a los 78 años en Berlín". Retrieved 5 March 2018 – via elpais.com.
- Aurora Intxausti, Borja Hermoso (September 9, 2008). "López Cobos, adiós al Teatro Real". El País. Retrieved 11 September 2008.
In 2009 [he] conducted the new production of Thaïs at the Metropolitan Opera with Renée Fleming.
- Delta Omicron Archived 2010-01-27 at the Wayback Machine
- Jesús López Cobos at AllMusic
- Jésus López Cobos at the Prince of Asturias Foundation website
- Short biography
- Interview with Jesús López Cobos, August 1, 1997
| Artistic Director, Orchestre de Chambre de Lausanne
Luis Antonio García Navarro (1997–2001)
| Music Director of the Teatro Real
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article Jesús López Cobos; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.