The image is from Wikipedia Commons
K. D. Arulpragasam
K. D. Arulpragasam
|1st Vice-Chancellor of the Eastern University, Sri Lanka|
|Born||(1931-09-16)16 September 1931|
|Died||7 August 2003(2003-08-07) (aged 71)
Colombo, Sri Lanka
|Alma mater||S. Thomas' College
St. John's College
University of Ceylon
University of Wales
University of Southampton
|Ethnicity||Sri Lankan Tamil|
Early life and family
Arulpragasam was born on 16 September 1931. He was educated at the S. Thomas' College, Mount Lavinia, St. John's College, Jaffna, Hartley College and Ananda College. After school he joined the University of Ceylon, Colombo from where he graduated with BSc degree in zoology. He then went to the UK for postgraduate studies. He gained a Phd in marine zoology from the University of Wales. He then did post-doctoral training in oceanography at the University of Southampton.
Arulpragasam never married but lived with his brother (Arulanantham) and sister-in-law (Padma).
Arulpragasam joined the Department of Zoology at the Faculty of Science, University of Colombo, becoming Professor of Zoology in 1973. He was Dean of the Faculty of Science for a couple of years.
Arulpragasam was appointed Director of Batticaloa University College in April 1985. The college was given full university status in October 1986 and Arulpragasam became its first vice-chancellor.
In October 1996 Arulpragasam was appointed Vice Chairman (Planning) of the second National Education Commission. He was chairman of the Central Environmental Authority and First Associate Director of the Institute of Fundamental Studies. He was also a member of the University Grants Commission and the Governing Council of the National Aquatic Research and Resources Development Authority. He was president of the National Academy of Sciences between 1995 and 1997.
- Arudpragasam K.D. and Costa H.H. Atyidae of Ceylon.I. Crustaceana, 1962; 4: 1-24.
- Arudpragasam K.D. and Naylor E. Gill ventilation and the role of reversed respiratory currents in Carcinus maenus. Journal of Experimental Biology, 1964; 41: 299-307.
- Arudpragasam K.D. and Naylor E. Gill ventilation volumes, oxygen consumption and respiratory rhythms in Carcinus maenus. Journal of Experimental Biology, 1964; 41: 309-321.
- Arudpragasam K.D. and Naylor E. Patterns of gill ventilation in some decapod Crustacea. Journal of Zoology, 1966; 150: 401-411.
- Fonseka, Carlo (14 September 2003). "Obituary: Dr. Kandiah David Arulpragasam (1931 – 2003) (I)". The Island (Sri Lanka).
- "Ex Vice-Chancellor of Eastern University dies". TamilNet. 8 August 2003.
- "Death of Prof. K. D. Arulpragasam". Daily News (Sri Lanka). 11 August 2003. Archived from the original on 6 November 2004. Retrieved 26 May 2013.
- "About EUSL". Eastern University, Sri Lanka. Archived from the original on 22 May 2013. Retrieved 26 May 2013.
- "Previous Commissions". National Education Commission.
- de Mel, Tara (14 September 2003). "Appreciation: Prof. K. D. Arulpragasam (II)". The Island (Sri Lanka).
- "Directory of Fellows of the Academy". National Academy of Sciences.
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article K. D. Arulpragasam; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.