The image is from Wikipedia Commons
Location of Kingsland in Cleveland County, Arkansas.
|• Total||1.12 sq mi (2.91 km2)|
|• Land||1.12 sq mi (2.91 km2)|
|• Water||0.00 sq mi (0.00 km2)|
|Elevation||217 ft (66 m)|
| • Estimate
|• Density||356.51/sq mi (137.61/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0050871|
Kingsland is a town in Cleveland County, Arkansas, United States. Its population was 447 at the 2010 U.S. census. It is included in the Pine Bluff, Arkansas Metropolitan Statistical Area. It is famous as the birthplace of Johnny Cash.
Kingsland is located at (33.861397, -92.294200).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 1.1 square miles (2.8 km2), all land.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2010, there were 447 people, 177 households, and 121 families residing in the town. The population density was 401.4 people per square mile (154.8/km2). There were 211 housing units at an average density of 188.6/sq mi (72.7/km2). The racial makeup of the town was 63.98% White, 32.89% Black or African American, 0.22% Native American, 0.45% Asian, and 2.46% from two or more races. None of the population was Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 219 households, out of which 29.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 49.7% were married couples living together, 13.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 31.6% were non-families. 31.1% of all households were made up of individuals, and 13.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.54 and the average family size was 3.20.
In the town, the population was spread out, with 27.96% under the age of 18, 5.82% from 20 to 24, 29.3% from 25 to 49, 20.81% from 50 to 64, and 13.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 32 years. There were 228 females and 219 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $20,536, and the median income for a family was $28,958. Males had a median income of $26,667 versus $16,250 for females. The per capita income for the town was $9,500. About 28.0% of families and 33.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 42.9% of those under age 18 and 26.1% of those age 65 or over.
In May 2003, the 63-year-old main building at the Kingsland School was destroyed by fire. The building's old pine, along with the varnish on the floors, oil on the wood inside and a gas heating system all contributed to the blaze. Later, the fire was found to be arson and two suspects, one of them a firefighter, were subsequently arrested. Damages were estimated to be over $2.1 million.
Public education for elementary and secondary school students is provided by the Cleveland County School District, which includes students attending Kingsland Elementary School prior to graduating from Rison High School. The district was established by the July 1, 2004 consolidation of the Rison School District and the Kingsland School District. Kingsland High School closed in 2004.
- Cory Carr, Israeli basketball player
- Johnny Cash, country singer-songwriter, actor and author
- Derrick Sims, cinematographer and film director 
- "2019 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved June 30, 2020.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". United States Census Bureau. May 24, 2020. Retrieved May 27, 2020.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "ConsolidationAnnex_from_1983.xls." Arkansas Department of Education. Retrieved on October 13, 2017.
- "History." Kingsland School District. April 18, 2001. Retrieved on October 18, 2017.
- "Derrick Sims - IMDb". imdb.com.
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article Kingsland, Arkansas; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.