The image is from Wikipedia Commons
|Born|| (1991-03-15) 15 March 1991
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
|Height||169 cm (5 ft 7 in)|
|Weight||85 kg (13 st 5 lb)|
As of 19 May 2019
Kurt Baptiste (born 15 March 1991) is a Papua New Guinean international rugby league footballer who plays as a hooker for the North Queensland Cowboys in the NRL. He previously played for the Brisbane Broncos, Canberra Raiders, Leigh Centurions and the Sydney Roosters.
Born in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Baptiste is of Papua New Guinean descent through his Samarai-born father Bevan. He played his junior rugby league for the Aspley Devils and attended Wavell State High School, where he represented the Australian Schoolboys in 2008, before being signed by the Brisbane Broncos.
Baptiste played for the Broncos' NYC team from 2009 to 2011, scoring 28 tries in 67 games and being named at hooker in the 2011 NYC Team of the Year. In 2009, he represented the Queensland under-18 team in their 24–6 loss to New South Wales under-18.
In Round 12 of the 2011 NRL season, Baptiste made his NRL debut for the Broncos in their 34-10 loss to the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles at Suncorp Stadium. He scored the first try of his NRL career in the Broncos' Round 16, 16-12 loss to the South Sydney Rabbitohs in Perth, Western Australia. Baptiste only played 1 game for the Broncos in 2012, in the Broncos' 30-6 win over the Canberra Raiders at Suncorp Stadium, spending much of the season playing for the Norths Devils, one of the Broncos' feeder teams, in the Queensland Cup.
In 2016, Baptiste became a crucial member of the Raiders team, playing in 24 of their 27 matches. On 7 May 2016, he made his international debut for Papua New Guinea against Fiji in the 2016 Melanesian Cup.
In December 2016, Baptiste ruptured his Achilles during pre-season training, which saw him miss half of the 2017 NRL season. He returned in Round 14 of the 2017 season, playing just 11 games for the Raiders. In late 2017, he represented Papua New Guinea at the 2017 Rugby League World Cup, playing four games.
On 18 December 2017, Baptiste joined English Championship club Leigh Centurions on a one-year deal. On 4 March 2018, after playing just one game for the club, he was granted a release from his contract due to personal and family reasons.
On 14 March 2018, Baptiste returned to Australia, signing a one-year deal with the Sydney Roosters. In June, he came off the interchange for Papua New Guinea in their 26–14 win over Fiji. He made just 9 appearances for the Roosters during the 2018 NRL season, spending the majority of the season playing for their Intrust Super Premiership feeder club, the Wyong Roos.
North Queensland Cowboys
Achievements and accolades
- NYC Team of the Year: 2011
- Statistics are correct to the end of the 2018 season 
|2016||Papua New Guinea||1||0||0||—||0||0|
|2017||Papua New Guinea||4||0||0||—||0||0|
|2018||Papua New Guinea||1||0||0||—||0||0|
- "Kurt Baptiste - Career Stats & Summary". Rugby League Project.
- Mou, Freddy (6 May 2015). "How 'Big Mal' gave Canberra Raiders PNG star Kato Ottio belief". Loop PNG. Retrieved 7 May 2016.
Fellow Raider Kurt Baptiste will make his Kumuls debut on Saturday. His Papua New Guinean heritage comes from his father, Bevan, who was born on the island of Samarai and moved to Brisbane aged 14.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20120620083243/http://www.rleague.com/db/player/b/baptiste_kurt/index.php. Archived from the original on 20 June 2012. Retrieved 11 August 2012. Missing or empty
- Queensland Residents team named nrl.com, 25 June 2012
- https://web.archive.org/web/20130927120237/http://leagueunlimited.com/news/show/qld-residents-team-named. Archived from the original on 27 September 2013. Retrieved 17 November 2013. Missing or empty
- https://web.archive.org/web/20131124142313/http://www.raiders.com.au/news-display/Raiders-sign-Kyle-ODonnell-and-Kurt-Baptiste/87481. Archived from the original on 24 November 2013. Retrieved 18 November 2013. Missing or empty
- Rugby League (17 November 2013). "Broncos refugee Kurt Baptiste happy to call Canberra Raiders home". Brisbanetimes.com.au. Retrieved 20 March 2016.
- NRL. "Kurt Baptiste Re-Signs with the". Raiders. Retrieved 20 March 2016.
- "PNG stuns Fiji in a thriller". nrl.com. Retrieved 7 May 2016.
- Cite error: The named reference
rugbyleagueproject1was invoked but never defined (see the help page).
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article Kurt Baptiste; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.