The image is from Wikipedia Commons
|Primary outflows||Akhurian River|
|Surface area||20 km2 (7.7 sq mi)|
|Average depth||1.5 m (4 ft 11 in)|
|Water volume||0.1 km3 (0.024 cu mi)|
|Surface elevation||2,025 m (6,644 ft)|
|Designated||7 June 1993|
Lake Arpi (Armenian: Արփի լիճ) is located in the Shirak Province of Armenia, on the Ashotsk plateau in the northwestern part of the country. The lake sits at an altitude of 2,025 m with an area of 20 km2. It originates from a volcano tectonic earthquake.
In 1951, the Arpi dam was built to create the Lake Arpi reservoir and artificially increased the natural state of 4.5 km2, 1.6 m deep, and volume of 5 million cubic meters. The reservoir's dam is 10 m high and 80 m long. The reservoir-lake spans 7.3 km long and 4.3 km wide, with an area of 20 km2, 8 m deep, and a volume of 30 million cubic meters.
Lake Arpi has become the second most important body of water in Armenia, next to Lake Sevan. It is used for irrigation and hydropower production. The lake is fed by meltwater and four streams, and it is the source of the Akhurian River.
The lake has rich flora and fauna. It is a Ramsar Convention–protected site, and a national park was established around the lake in 2009.During the winter, it is completely covered by ice. In its waters are found Cyprinus and Varicorhinus. More than 100 species of birds have been observed around Lake Arpi, which is why the area was recognized as an Important Bird Area.
- "Lake Arpi". Ramsar Sites Information Service. Retrieved 25 April 2018.
- H․ M․ Ayvazyan and others, Nature of Armenia Encyclopedia, Yerevan, «Armenian Encyclopedia Publishing House», 2006, pg 146 — 692— 3500 each, ISBN 5-89700-029-8
- Hagopian T. K., Melik-Bakhshyan S. Fr., Barseghyan H., Armenia and Neighboring Regions Dictionary, Vol. 1 [A-C] (ed. Manukyan L. III), Yerevan, «Yerevan State University Publishing», 1986, pg 514 — 992
- "National Report On the Implementation of the Ramsar Convention On Wetlands: Armenia" (PDF). 2015.
- Armenian Bird Census Council. Important Bird and Biodiversity Areas in Armenia. TSE NGO. Retrieved on 29 Oct 2017 from http://www.abcc-am.org/iba.html
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article Lake Arpi; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.