The image is from Wikipedia Commons
Margaret, Countess of Pembroke
|Margaret of England|
|Countess of Pembroke|
|Born||20 July 1346
Windsor, Berkshire, England
|Died||c. 1 October – 25 December 1361 (aged 15)|
|Father||Edward III of England|
|Mother||Philippa of Hainault|
Margaret of England (20 July 1346 – October/December 1361) was a royal princess born in Windsor, the daughter of King Edward III of England and his consort, Philippa of Hainault. Margaret would be the last princess born to a reigning English monarch for over a century, until the birth of Elizabeth of York in 1466. She was also known as Margaret of Windsor.
Margaret was the daughter of King Edward III of England and his consort, Philippa of Hainault. She was also known as Margaret of Windsor. Margaret's first marriage prospect was Albert III of Austria but this changed due to politics at the time. A few years later she was affianced to John of Blois, son of Charles of Blois and rival of John V of Brittany to the Breton throne; however, this engagement was abandoned because her sister Mary was already betrothed to John IV of Brittany.
Margaret was raised with John Hastings, 2nd Earl of Pembroke, son of Laurence Hastings, 1st Earl of Pembroke and his wife Agnes, the daughter of Roger Mortimer (the favourite of Isabella of France). As children they had a close companionship. On 13 May 1359, she became the wife of John Hastings in the same week as her brother John of Gaunt, 1st Duke of Lancaster married Blanche of Lancaster, in Reading.
- Weir, Alison (2014). Elizabeth of York: A Tudor Queen and Her World. New York: Balantine Books. p. 4. ISBN 9780345521378.
- Weir 2008, p. 115. sfn error: no target: CITEREFWeir2008 (help)
- Weir 2008, pp. 115, 99–100. sfn error: no target: CITEREFWeir2008 (help)
- Armitage-Smith, Sydney (1905). John of Gaunt: King of Castile and Leon, Duke of Aquitaine and Lancaster, Earl of Derby, Lincoln, and Leicester, Seneschal of England. Charles Scribner's Sons. p. 21. Retrieved 8 October 2018.
- von Redlich, Marcellus Donald R. Pedigrees of Some of the Emperor Charlemagne's Descendants. I. p. 64.
- Weir, Alison (1999). Britain's Royal Families: The Complete Genealogy. London: The Bodley Head. pp. 75, 92.
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article Margaret, Countess of Pembroke; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.