The image is from Wikipedia Commons
Mark Jones (museum director)
Sir Mark Jones
|5th Master of St Cross College, Oxford|
September 2011 – September 2016
|Preceded by||Andrew Goudie|
|Succeeded by||Carole Souter CBE|
|14th Director of the Victoria and Albert Museum|
May 2001 – September 2011
|Preceded by||Alan Borg|
|Succeeded by||Martin Roth|
Mark Ellis Powell Jones
(1951-02-05) 5 February 1951
|Alma mater||Worcester College, Oxford
Courtauld Institute of Art
Knight Bachelor (2010)
Sir Mark Ellis Powell Jones art historian, numismatist and museum director. He was Master of St Cross College, Oxford from 2011-2016. Previously, from 2001 to 2011, he was director of the Victoria and Albert Museum.(born 5 February 1951) is a British
Jones was born on 5 February 1951. He is the son of writer and historian, Ann Paludan. He was educated at Eton College, an all-boys public school in Eton, Berkshire. He studied Politics, Philosophy and Economics at Worcester College, Oxford. He then undertook postgraduate studies in art history at the Courtauld Institute of Art, graduating with a Master of Arts (MA) degree.
Jones spent 18 years in the Department of Coins and Medals at the British Museum, where he curated the acclaimed exhibition FAKE? The Art of Deception. In 1992 he was appointed director of the National Museums of Scotland, and here he gained a high reputation. He oversaw the creation in 1998 of the Museum of Scotland, which went on to win 22 prizes for its displays and a Stirling Prize nomination for its building.
In May 2001, Jones became Director of the Victoria and Albert Museum. On his first day as director, he announced the scrapping of entry charges to the museum. Under his directorship a number of renewal projects have been completed, including the Medieval and Renaissance galleries which opened in 2009.
On 18 November 2010, it was announced that Jones had been elected as the next Master of St Cross College, Oxford; he took up the post in September 2011. He retired from the post in September 2016, and was succeeded by Carole Souter.
Jones is Chairman of the National Museum Directors’ Conference, a trustee of the National Trust, the Gilbert Collection, and the Pilgrim Trust, a member of the Court and Council of the Royal College of Art, Vice President of the British Art Medal Society and the Kensington & Chelsea Decorative & Fine Arts Society, and a patron of the Embroiderers' Guild and the Heritage Crafts Association.
He is married to Dr Camilla Toulmin, the former director of the International Institute for Environment and Development. They have three children and Jones has a daughter from a previous marriage.
- Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries of London (FSA). (7 March 1992)
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh (FRSE). (1999)
- Appointed a Knight Bachelor (2010 New Year Honours) "for services to the Arts".
- Honorary Doctorate, Royal Holloway College
- Honorary Doctorate, Dundee University
- Honorary Doctorate, University of Abertay (Dundee)
- Honorary Doctorate, University of East Anglia
- St Cross College, Oxford: New Master elected. Archived 13 April 2019 at the Wayback Machine 08 November 2016
- "Sir Mark Jones". People of Today. Debrett's. Archived from the original on 15 August 2012. Retrieved 5 December 2010.
- "Sir Mark Jones". St Cross College. University of Oxford. Retrieved 25 October 2015.
- Reed, Marcia (1 December 1990). "FAKE?: THE ART OF DECEPTION. Mark Jones , Paul Craddock , Nicolas Barker". Art Documentation: Journal of the Art Libraries Society of North America. 9 (4): 215–216. doi:10.1086/adx.9.4.27948297. ISSN 0730-7187.
- Sudjic, Deyan (24 March 2002). "But where are the great Scots these days?". The Guardian. Archived from the original on 13 June 2014. Retrieved 6 June 2021.
- "Museums set dates for free entry". BBC News. 1 May 2001. Retrieved 11 December 2011.
- "Victoria and Albert Museum: Completed FuturePlan projects". Archived from the original on 9 October 2011. Retrieved 7 December 2011.
- Sir Mark Jones elected Master of St Cross College Archived 23 November 2010 at the Wayback Machine University of Oxford news 18 November 2010.
- St Cross College Elects New Master
- "Sir Mark E P Jones Kt FSA". Fellows Directory. Society of Antiquaries of London. Retrieved 25 October 2015.
- "RSE Fellows as at 13/10/2015" (PDF). Royal Society of Edinburgh. 13 October 2015. Archived from the original (pdf) on 30 March 2016. Retrieved 25 October 2015.
- "No. 59282". The London Gazette (Supplement). 31 December 2009. p. 1.
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article Mark Jones (museum director); it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.