The image is from Wikipedia Commons
Michael V. Gazzo
Michael V. Gazzo
Michael V. Gazzo portraying Frank Pentangeli in the film The Godfather Part II
Michael Vincenzo Gazzo
(1923-04-05)April 5, 1923
Hillside, New Jersey, U.S.
|Died||February 14, 1995(1995-02-14) (aged 71)
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
|Resting place||Westwood Memorial Park|
|Spouse(s)||Grace Gazzo (3 children)|
|Children||Peppi, Michael, Christopher|
Michael Vincenzo Gazzo (April 5, 1923 – February 14, 1995) was an American playwright who later in life became a film and television actor. He was nominated for an Academy Award for his role in The Godfather Part II (1974).
Gazzo was born on April 5, 1923. He was a member of the Actors Studio and would later go on to train such actors as Debra Winger, Henry Silva and Tony Sirico. He authored a gritty Broadway play about drug addiction, A Hatful of Rain, which ran for 389 performances in 1955 and 1956. It starred Ben Gazzara and Shelley Winters in the two lead roles, and subsequently was adapted into a film by Oscar-winning director Fred Zinnemann in 1957. The movie was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Actor in a Leading Role (Anthony Franciosa). A 1968 made-for-television version (as a filmed play) starred Peter Falk, Sandy Dennis and Michael Parks. Gazzo's other screen writing credits include the Elvis Presley American musical drama King Creole in 1958. Gazzo authored the Broadway play The Night Circus, also starring Ben Gazzara.
- On the Waterfront (1954) - Bit (uncredited)
- A Man Called Adam (1966) - (uncredited)
- Out of It (1969) - Vinnie's friend
- The Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight (1971) - A Black Suit
- Crazy Joe (1974)
- The Godfather Part II (1974) - Frankie Pentangeli
- Kojak (1975) - Joel Adrian
- Brinks: The Great Robbery (1976) - Mario Russo
- Welcome Back, Kotter (Season 2, Episode 12 "Hark, the Sweatkings") (1976) - Angelo DeMora
- Starsky and Hutch (1977) - Joe Durniak
- Barnaby Jones (1977) - Mr. Farinelli
- Baretta (1977) - Rico Giove
- Black Sunday (1977) - Muzi
- The Feather and Father Gang (Season 1, Episode 12 "The Mayan Connection") (1977) - Gutman
- Columbo episode Murder Under Glass (1978) - Vittorio Rossi
- Fingers (1978) - Ben
- King of the Gypsies (1978) - Spiro Giorgio
- Love and Bullets (1979) - Lobo
- The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh (1979) - Harry the Trainer
- Beggarman, Thief (1979) - Sartene
- Fantasy Island (Season 3, Episode 14 "The Lookalikes/Winemaker") (1979) - Frank Lassiter
- Taxi (1979) - Vince
- Cuba Crossing (1980) - Rossellini
- Alligator (1980) - Chief Clark
- Border Cop (1980) - Chico Suarez
- Hoodlums (1980) - Gus Azziello
- Sizzle (1980)
- Magnum, P.I. episode "The Ugliest Dog in Hawaii" (1981) - Victor DiGorgio
- Back Roads (1981) - Tazio
- Body and Soul (1981) - Frankie
- The Winter of Our Discontent (1983) - Marullo
- Sudden Impact (1983) - Threlkis (uncredited)
- Cannonball Run II (1984) - Sonny
- Fear City (1984) - Mike
- Cookie (1989) - Carmine
- Beyond the Ocean (1990)
- Forever (1991)
- Ring of the Musketeers (1992)
- Last Action Hero (1993) - Torelli
- L.A. Law (1994) (episode "McKenzie, Brackman, Barnum & Bailey") (1994) - Roscoe Zambini
- Nothing to Lose (1994) - Joe (final film role)
- Brantley, Ben (February 24, 1995). "Michael V. Gazzo, 71, Is Dead - Playwright of 'Hatful of Rain'". The New York Times. Retrieved June 25, 2017.
- Biography for Michael V. Gazzo on IMDb
- A Hatful of Rain on IMDb
- King Creole on IMDb
- "The Night Circus @ John Golden Theatre". Playbill. Playbill, Inc. Retrieved June 25, 2017.
- Folkart, Burt A. (February 25, 1995). "Michael Gazzo; Film and TV Actor, Playwright". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved February 29, 2016.
- Brantley, Ben (February 24, 1995). "Michael V. Gazzo, 71, Is Dead – Playwright of 'Hatful of Rain'". The New York Times.
- Bacarella, Michael, ItalActors: 101 Years of Italian Actors in U.S. Entertainment, The National Italian American Foundation[ISBN missing]
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article Michael V. Gazzo; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.