The image is from Wikipedia Commons
Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music Volume Two
|Modern Sounds, Vol. 2|
|Studio album by|
|Recorded||September 5, 1962 in New York City, NY and September 7, 1962 in Hollywood, CA|
|Ray Charles chronology|
Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music Volume Two is a 1962 album by Ray Charles. It is the second volume of country and western recordings by Charles following his landmark debut on ABC Records. Following the surprising success of Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music, an album of country music covers, which sold over a million copies, Charles and producer Sid Feller decided to do a follow-up. Unlike the previous album, where slow and fast tracks more or less alternated, this one features one side performed by the Ray Charles Big Band with the Raelettes, while the other side features a string section and the Jack Halloran Singers.
The album has been reissued on CD, coupled with Volume 1, and is also featured on The Complete Country & Western Recordings: 1959-1986 Box Set which also features the first C & W volume and many of Charles' later country recordings.
|Encyclopedia of Popular Music|||
|The Rolling Stone Album Guide|||
In The Rolling Stone Album Guide (1992), J. D. Considine regarded the second Modern Sounds album as superior to the first, "because its balladry is smoother (as with his version of Williams's 'Your Cheatin' Heart') and because the blues tunes rock harder (check his smouldering rendition of Gibson's 'Don't Tell Me Your Troubles')." AllMusic's Richard S. Ginell said it "defied the curse of the sequel and was just as much of an artistic triumph as its predecessor, if not as immediately startling". Robert Christgau, on the other hand, preferred the first volume, writing in Rolling Stone that the second was a "half a step down".
|ABC 10375||“You Are My Sunshine”||#1||#7|
|ABC 10435||“No Letter Today”||#105|
|ABC 10435||“Take These Chains from My Heart”||#7||#8|
|ABC 10375||“Your Cheating Heart”||#23||#29|
|ABC 10481||“Making Believe”||#102|
- Ginell, Richard S. (n.d.). "Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music, Vol. 2 - Ray Charles". AllMusic. Retrieved July 30, 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Anon. (n.d.). "Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music Vol. 2". Acclaimed Music. Retrieved July 30, 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Graff, Gary; du Lac, Josh Freedom; McFarlin, Jim, eds. (1998). "Ray Charles". MusicHound R&B: The Essential Album Guide. Visible Ink Press. ISBN 1578590264.
- Considine, J. D. (1992). "Ray Charles". In DeCurtis, Anthony; Henke, James; George-Warren, Holly (eds.). The Rolling Stone Album Guide (3rd ed.). Random House. p. 126. ISBN 0679737294.
- Christgau, Robert (July 8, 2004). "The Genius at Work". Rolling Stone. Retrieved July 30, 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music Volume Two; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.