The image is from Wikipedia Commons
|No. 24, 34|
|Born:|| (1984-05-04) May 4, 1984
|Height:||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|Weight:||225 lb (102 kg)|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics|
|Player stats at NFL.com|
Montell Ernest Owens (born May 4, 1984) is a former American football fullback. He played college football at Maine. Owens was signed by the Jacksonville Jaguars as an undrafted free agent in 2006. He has also played for the Detroit Lions and Chicago Bears.
Owens attended Concord High School in Wilmington, Delaware, and was a letterman in football, baseball, and track. As a student, he was a member of the National Honor Society and toured Europe with American Music Abroad. In football, Owens rushed for 1,100 yards and 20 touchdowns. Owens graduated from Concord High School in 2002.
Owens attended the University of Maine, where he was a four-year letterman who played in 38 games at tailback for the Maine Black Bears football team. In 2005, he established career highs with 184 carries for 779 yards and nine touchdowns as a senior. As a junior in 2004, he played in nine games and had 49 carries for 187 yards and two touchdowns. He played in nine games as a sophomore rushed for 32 yards on 15 carries. Owens majored in kinesiology and biology and minored in jazz performance.
After going undrafted in the 2006 NFL Draft, Owens signed with the Jacksonville Jaguars on April 30, 2006. In 2009, he tied the single-season franchise record with 30 special teams tackles. Owens was selected as a first alternate for the 2010 Pro Bowl. He was selected to the 2011 Pro Bowl as a special teams player. In the Pro Bowl game, Owens recovered a fumble by Devin Hester on a kickoff and returned it for a touchdown. In the same game he caught a pass for a touchdown from Matt Cassel. He replaced New England's Matthew Slater as the special teams player on the AFC roster for the 2012 Pro Bowl. He was released on May 16, 2013.
Owens was attributed with the nickname of "Mowens" during his time with the Jaguars, the result of a group of die-hard fans contracting the name listed on his jersey "M. OWENS".
Jaguars franchise records
- Most special teams tackles: 118
- Most special teams tackles in single season: 30 (2009)
- "Lions sign special teams ace RB/FB Montell Owens". DetroitLions.com. May 30, 2013. Archived from the original on June 29, 2013. Retrieved September 8, 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Twentyman, Tim (October 31, 2013). "Lions place WR Ryan Broyles on Injured/Reserve and active RB Montell Owens". DetroitLions.com. Retrieved September 8, 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Twentyman, Tim (September 30, 2014). "Lions promote George Winn, place Montell Owens on IR". DetroitLions.com. Retrieved September 8, 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Mayer, Larry (December 11, 2014). "Bears put Williams on IR, sign Owens". ChicagoBears.com. Retrieved September 8, 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article Montell Owens; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.