The image is from Wikipedia Commons
National Democratic Party (Suriname)
|Founded||4 July 1987|
|Ideology||Socialism of the 21st century
|Political position||Centre-left to left-wing|
|Seats in the National Assembly||
16 / 51
The National Democratic Party (Dutch: Nationale Democratische Partij, NDP) is a political party in Suriname. It was founded on 4 July 1987 by Surinamese leader Dési Bouterse, and was one of the first parties in the country to have a stable base of support across different ethnic groups. In the 2015 general election the party scored 45.56% of the vote and 26 of 51 seats in parliament.
NDP chairman Bouterse was elected President of Suriname on 19 July 2010, after he won the 2010 elections with his Mega Combination of which the NDP was the dominant party. The party won the 2015 elections as well, winning 26 seats against an alliance of 7 (later 6) opposition parties.
In the 2020 elections, the NDP won 16 of the 51 seats. Dési Bouterse lost presidency and he was succeeded by opposition leader Chan Santokhi. The opposition parties formed a new coalition government. NDP became the new main opposition party.
The NDP was formed from a reorganisation of the Vijfentwintig Februari Beweging (VFB, February Twenty-Five Movement), a political movement established on 24 November 1983 by Dési Bouterse and the ruling military junta.
|Election||Votes||+/– votes||% of votes||No. of
overall seats won
|+/– seats||% of seats||Districts won||Government||Notes|
3 / 51
12 / 51
16 / 51
7 / 51
|9||13%||Opposition||Millenium Combinatie alliance|
15 / 51
19 / 51
|4||37%||Coalition||Mega Combinatie alliance|
26 / 51
16 / 51
- The NDP was the first political party in Suriname to have a website. It was set up for the 1996 election campaign.
- Star Nieuws retrieved 28 May 2015
- Janssen, Roger (2011). In Search of a Path: An Analysis of the Foreign Policy of Suriname from 1975 to 1991. Leiden: Brill. p. 203. ISBN 978-90-04-25367-4. JSTOR 10.1163/j.ctt1w8h0wm.
- Janssen 2011, p. 174.
- de Jong, Sjoerd (23 May 1996). "Campagne op Internet". NRC Handelsblad (in Dutch).
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article National Democratic Party (Suriname); it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.