The image is from Wikipedia Commons
Nerses Bedros XIX Tarmouni
|Patriarch Catholicos of Cilicia|
Patriarch Nerses, at Chair of Saint Peter, last 11 October 2014.
|See||Armenian Catholic Patriarchate of Cilicia|
|Appointed||13 October 1999|
|Term ended||25 June 2015|
|Predecessor||Hovhannes Bedros XVIII Kasparian|
|Successor||Krikor Bedros XX Gabroyan|
|Other posts||Armenian Bishop of Alexandria|
|Ordination||15 August 1965
by Raphaël Bayan
|Consecration||18 February 1990
by Hovhannes Bedros XVIII Kasparian
|Birth name||Pierre Taza|
|Born||(1940-01-17)17 January 1940
Cairo, Kingdom of Egypt
|Died||25 June 2015(2015-06-25) (aged 75)
|Parents||Elias Taza and Josephine Azouz|
Nerses Bedros XIX
|Reference style||His Beatitude|
|Spoken style||Your Beatitude|
He was the second son and the fifth of eight children born to Elias Taza and Josephine Azouz. He completed his primary and secondary studies at the College of the Brothers of the Christian Schools (Frères des écoles chrétiennes) in Cairo.
He felt a vocation for the priesthood very early in life and thus was sent to the Armenian Leonine Pontifical College in Rome in 1958 where he studied Philosophy and Theology at the Pontifical Gregorian University. His Bishop, Raphaël Bayan ordained him as a priest in Cairo on 15 August 1965. In Heliopolis he was known as Father Pierre Taza.
He served the parish of the Armenian Catholic Cathedral of the Annunciation in Cairo from 1965 to 1968 with the Rev John Kasparian who, in 1982, became Catholicos-Patriarch under the name of Hovhannes Bedros XVIII (John Peter XVIII Kasparian). From 1968 to 1990, Pierre Taza was curate of the parish of St Therese of Heliopolis in Cairo.
On 18 February 1990, he was ordained bishop of the Eparchy (Diocese) of Alexandria for Egypt and Sudan by the laying on of hands of Jean Pierre XVIII. From 1992 to 1997, as member of the Catholic Hierarchy of Egypt, he was the General Secretary of the Pastoral Council of the Catholic Church of Egypt.
- Member of the Council of the three Bishops to direct the Patriarchal Curie from 1993 to 1995
- President of the Patriarchal Commission for the Vocations from 1993 to 1995
- Member of the Permanent Synod as of 1994
He remained in this position until his death on June 25, 2015.
- Armenian Catholic Church Archived 2011-02-23 at the Wayback Machine
- "Patriarch Nerses Bedros XIX (Boutros) Tarmouni (Taza)". Catholic Hierarchy. Retrieved June 25, 2015.
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article Nerses Bedros XIX Tarmouni; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.