The image is from Wikipedia Commons
4 May 1901
Derbent, Ottoman Empire
|Died||13 June 1992(1992-06-13) (aged 91)
(m. 1919; div. 1924)
(m. 1926; died 1974)
|House||Çıhçı (by birth)
Ottoman (by marriage)
Nevvare Hanım was born on 4 May 1901 in Derbent, Ottoman Empire. Born as Ayşe Çıhçı, she was a member of Abkhazian noble family, Çıhçı. Her father was Mustafa Bey Çıhcı, and her mother was Hafize Hanım Kap-Ipha.
As a young child, she had been sent to live-in Mehmed's Çengelköy mansion when he had been a prince, where after sometime she became a lady-in-waiting to Müveddet Kadın. Here her name according to the custom of the Ottoman court was Nevvare.
Nevvare married Mehmed on 20 June 1918 in the Dolmabahçe Palace. Mehmed was fifty seven, while Nevvare was seventeen years old. Nevvare remained childless. After Mehmed's accession to the throne on 4 July 1918, She was given the title of "Senior Ikbal". She was given a mansion on the grounds of the Yıldız Palace.
After Mehmed's deposition in 1922, he was sent into exile in San Remo. She, like rest of the family members, was imprisoned in Feriye Palace. During their stay in the Feriye, Nevvare became so sick that she had to be taken to a hospital. She wasn't issued a passport, and it was decided that she should join the others once she felt a little better. And so on 6 March 1924, her parents took her to her hometown in Derbent. After she regained her health, she wrote to the Sultan, and asked him for a divorce. And so she was granted divorce on 20 March 1924.
Nevvare died on 13 June 1992 at the age of ninety-one in Derbent, and was buried in a cemetery in Derbent.
- Uluçay 2011, p. 263.
- Açba 2004, p. 194.
- Açba 2004, p. 77.
- Açba 2004, p. 75.
- Sakaoğlu 2008, p. 707.
- Kedourie, Sylvia (February 4, 2014). Turkey: Identity, Democracy, Politics. Routledge. p. 22. ISBN 978-1-135-22946-7.
- Aredba, Rumeysa; Açba, Edadil (2009). Sultan Vahdeddin'in San Remo günleri. Hatırat kitaplığı. Timaş Yayınları. p. 13. ISBN 978-975-263-955-3.
- Açba 2004, p. 180.
- Açba 2004, p. 180 n. 8.
- Aredba, Rumeysa; Açba, Edadil (2009). Sultan Vahdeddin'in San Remo günleri. Hatırat kitaplığı. Timaş Yayınları. ISBN 978-975-263-955-3.
- Açba, Leyla (2004). Bir Çerkes prensesinin harem hatıraları. L & M. ISBN 978-9-756-49131-7.
- Sakaoğlu, Necdet (2008). Bu Mülkün Kadın Sultanları: Vâlide Sultanlar, Hâtunlar, Hasekiler, Kandınefendiler, Sultanefendiler. Oğlak Yayıncılık. ISBN 978-6-051-71079-2.
- Uluçay, M. Çağatay (2011). Padişahların kadınları ve kızları. Ötüken. ISBN 978-9-754-37840-5.
- This page is based on the Wikipedia article Nevvare Hanım; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.